1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What is the Most Saved per Month

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by swsimp160, May 22, 2018.

1. swsimp160

swsimp160 New commenter

I start my first job on the international circuit this August (Nigeria) and was wondering what the most (in UK £'S) per month, over the duration of the entire contract, you have managed to save? How was your standard of living/quality of life during this time? Was it in a school you enjoyed working in or a living hell? Have packages decreased significantly in many places over the last few years (I was really shocked at a Bahrain offer that would have left me worse of than in UK for example)

(For those who want to tell me I should have done something different if I wanted to make money save your time please and don't bother)

2. makhnovite

makhnovite Occasional commenter

The dumbell will be along in a minute! :D

sicalifornia and T0nyGT like this.
  3. BondStreetBabe

BondStreetBabe New commenter

I lived very comfortably but still managed to save £3,750 a month in Kuwait.

4. Charlyrose

Charlyrose New commenter

Was that as a single person and did you have any responsibility?

5. SPC2

SPC2 Occasional commenter

That'd be telling...

[​IMG]

6. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

I'm in Southern Europe. I once saved 63 Euros but that's only because I forgot to pay my phone bill which was 65 Euros

7. BondStreetBabe

BondStreetBabe New commenter

Yes and no.

8. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Established commenter

single person, no responsibility, 4000+ GBP living in Africa. average living costs around 200 to 250 GBP per month.

9. mermy

mermy Occasional commenter

Nothing personal, swsimp, but this feels like a "Who has the largest pen1s?" question. Even if we all told you our figures from various countries, everyone is still individual. Some travel more, others drink more, others prefer to enjoy quiet evenings and holidays at home with a book and hence can potentially save more. Some are single, others have a family. Some have to send money back to the UK for various direct debits, others don't. The question is really how long is a piece of string...

10. fullblownattack63

fullblownattack63 New commenter

I actually think it is a useful question, so that the soon-to-be expats have a rough figure of how much we can save each month based on our situation.

After all, that is the reason we are moving out of the UK in the first place right?

I am single teacher moving to Qatar. I will be on about 15k QAR (£3000 a month) with all my expenses paid for. I estimate I could save at least £2000 a month...hopefully more if I was able to do some...shall we say...private work?

Is that a good estimate?

11. swsimp160

swsimp160 New commenter

Yep I can see it seems like a who's is biggest but not meant that way at all. I start my first international job in Nigeria and actually getting info on what is a good package/salary as a newbie has been difficult. After 25 years in teaching I want to save as much as possible in the last 6/8 years of my career by living very frugally, so I can retire early in style, and was interested in what others had managed and whether the international circuit was indeed as lucrative as some claim. I did also ask people's standard of living and whether the job was one they enjoyed so just can't see it is a how long is a piece of string question. We will have to agree to disagree.

12. swsimp160

swsimp160 New commenter

I want to work at your school after Nigeria.

tesolmath likes this.
  13. swsimp160

swsimp160 New commenter

WOW!!!!

14. Jason_Bourne_

Jason_Bourne_ Occasional commenter

private work? You do know that private tutoring is illegal in Qatar and will be against the terms and conditions of your employment? I'm sure there are people who are doing it already but at what potential cost?

15. ejclibrarian

ejclibrarian Established commenter Community helper

I didn't. I left cause West London was a miserable place to live and work. I moved for a better life. It's a bonus that we earn enough to save for the future.

16. mermy

Actually, no. I left, because I had enough of the UK education system. I left, because I wanted time with my family again. I left, because I wanted to see the world. The fact that I can save is a bonus, but it was definitely quite low down on the list of reasons to go.

17. mermy

To answer your questions without numbers:

Yes, it is lucrative if you are in the right country / school. Nigeria seems a good place to be from what I've read on these forums (I read a lot here, because I have time as I am not overworked since moving).

Most will tell you that standard of living is by far better than back home. Most will have a better work-life balance, travel more and have a good quality of life. Again, this depends on where you are.

The general consensus on these boards is that pretty much the majority is happy to be in international teaching. We all have bad days, but the opportunities, better life and savings potential in most areas will make up for those. It is lucrative and it is worth it.

Edit to add: I'm in my mid 30s and plan to retire by 50, latest 55. Something most in the UK couldn't do. That's how lucrative it is.

Last edited: May 23, 2018
  18. mermy

Darn, late 30s not mid 30s! Getting senile in the olden age :eek::p

19. swsimp160

swsimp160 New commenter

50/55 is impressive. 67 here in Scotland with actuaries calculating the life expectancy of a male maths teacher who works to 65 is 18 months. I have taught in Canada and Oz but for the school boards not international. I will, hopefully, be gone at 60 which is 8 years for me. I find the UK a grim place and although I have Canadian citizenship I find Canada worse. However, I would sell a kidney for an Ozzie passport no probs. Any takers?

20. englishtt06

englishtt06 Occasional commenter

Not me, either. On my list of reasons for moving, money was towards the bottom. Quality of life, work-life balance and opportunities to see the world were at the top. However, I don't want to be in poverty but I would sacrifice money for a better location any day. Though as others have said: horses for courses. Compound or gated-community living is not for me - I prefer freedom of movement and living in the local community.

I have a colleague (where I currently am overseas) who saves diligently (to a point where it severely affects quality of life, in my opinion i.e. won't put the heating on in winter) overspending in any way (even an extra few cents for a beer) stresses her out. She is on a very good salary and costs of living are low here. She is saving for retirement but I get the sense that even then, she will still scrimp and save because that's actually who she is: she actively enjoys not spending money.

The phrase 'you can't take it with you' doesn't seem to chime with some people. But each to their own. The idea of putting my life on hold to save for retirement terrifies me - what if something happens? If you are physically fit and you don't have too many commitments - do what you want now whilst you can. Life is for the living. I save money but I strike a balance: I have a good, unrestricted life and I save about a £1,000 per month. 'Unrestricted' means I travel widely and frequently, I buy what I want, I eat out 2-3 times a week....

mermy and masty88 like this.