1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What is the most professional way of handling this situation ?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by honeymarmalade, Nov 18, 2015.

1. honeymarmalade

honeymarmalade Occasional commenter

Hello,

I was appointed to a position to start in January 2016.

Unfortunately, in the intervening time things have changed dramatically and it looks as if a move is in order.

This move is flexible to a point so I am wondering if it is more professional to start and resign, working the spring term, or whether Heads would prefer me to be honest and have the chance to appoint somebody who can give the job their all and stay there many years.

I suspect the latter. Or should I just ask?

Thank you.

2. userunknown

userunknown New commenter

Personally I would explain the situation to the new HT and ask to be released from your contract if you have signed one. If you decide to work for the short period you may be asked why you resigned after such a short time at a school.

3. honeymarmalade

That could be easily explained I'd think as just circumstances changed. I just want to do what is best for the school and the Head, although I realise I have inadvertently caused a problem.

4. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

I'd explain the situation to the HT as you have explained it here, and say you are happy to start in January and be there for the spring term but as things stand at the moment it looks very much as though you will be unable to be there after that. He might decide to release you from the contract to find someone else to start in January, or he might be ok with you starting in January which gives him time to find another teacher to start for the summer term, so you would effectively be doing supply for a term. Give him the opportunity to decide anyway. If it's an unforeseen situation he might not like it but I don't think he can fault you for saying given the circumstances you will do whatever he feels is best for the school.

When it comes to a new job, the short period in that school will be explained by the fact that in the period between you getting the contract and you leaving, your circumstances changed, and you moved away but with the agreement of the HT you served the term to ensure they got a proper chance at recruiting a good replacement for you.

5. frustum

frustum Star commenter

I'm taking it that a change in your personal circumstances (eg OH's job) means that you will be moving area at some point in the first half of 2016.

I agree - explain the situation to the new HT, explain that you would be able to start the job in January as agreed, but that if they would prefer to release you from the contract rather than have you for one term only, then you would be amenable to that.

Are you okay if they take a bit of time to decide? It might depend on whether they can get someone else in for January - they won't be able to get anyone already in post. If they can't, then there's going to have to be a temporary arrangement for next term anyway, and it might be easier to have you than look for someone else. You might want to think about when you need to know by, in case they want to keep you as an option until they've seen whether they can find someone else.

6. honeymarmalade

Thank you. Yes, I'm fine with them taking some time to decide - I really do want to do what's right for the school. My preferred option would be not to start at all - I think it would be very peculiar to start somewhere knowing I'd be leaving in a matter of weeks - but if they can't get someone else that might be difficult for them.

7. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

Give them as much notice as possible to recruit someone else. It should be possible to advertise and appoint by Christmas.

8. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

Starting somewhere and then stopping after a few weeks would be no different to medium term supply teaching - and if the HT was amenable a future reference could be written on that basis.

9. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Some good advice above. The Head will appreciate your being open.

I will add that the Head may well prefer to appoint for the summer term because there will be a larger pool of applicants than now, after the resignation deadline has passed for a January start.

Best wishes

10. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

@honeymarmalade
    I hope everything works out well for you and for the school as you are clearly a person of some integrity and decency.

kent1 likes this.
  11. Weald56

Weald56 Established commenter

I agree.

Best of luck.

12. honeymarmalade

Thank you, I emailed the school today to explain the situation and said I would be happy to go with what suited them.