1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What is the ‘mood’ where you are?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by CabbageWhite20, May 29, 2020.

1. CabbageWhite20

CabbageWhite20 Occasional commenter

I live in a rural area that is fortunate enough not to have had many cases. People are quietly easing themselves out of lockdown (I’d say moving about a week or two ahead of govt guidelines). We have a lot of tourists normally and visitor numbers are going up.
    My feeling is that with all of the social mixing that is starting to happen around here and schools opening numbers in this area may go up over the next few weeks. Most people I’ve spoken to seem to think we’ve dodged a bullet and can basically get back to normal now. What’s the mood where you are?

2. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Largish city... just out to the pharmacy and traffic is back to pre-lockdown levels. Workmen digging up the road outside while construction work has begun on a new Starbucks. Meanwhile McDonald's drive-in is doing a roaring trade.

nomad likes this.
  3. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

No one really seems to know. Everything's getting busier. Most common thing happening near me is businesses cleaning/painting/refitting whilst they can easily do it.
    On a personal level? Terrified. Back on site full time on Monday.

nomad and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  4. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

What a daft question? Is this what you mean?
    [​IMG]

afterdark and magic surf bus like this.
  5. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

Life is moving in some areas, Local streets are empty yet the council is taking away parking in a lot of the high streets so people can walk past each other at 2-metre distance, while the local shops lose all their passing trade from motorists and shops cant drop off deliveries or collect.
    In the 'town' centre not many folk walking.
    myself. I am bored almost to death and waiting to get going to see if I can get a job, Not much chance with the large numbers who might seemingly be unemployed!

6. nomad

nomad Star commenter

On the very edge of large town, bordering on countryside. Mood is very quiet. Community spirit is great.

Marshall, chelsea2 and Mangleworzle like this.
  7. maggie m

maggie m Lead commenter

Buses are still empty, roads are busier but nothing like the levels of traffic before lockdown. The town centre is quiet, queues outside M&S and Sainsbury
    .A few people using banks, building societies , Superdrug but there isn't much open.My hairdresser seems to have builders in. Local newsagent is doing brisk trade as he sells very nice fresh bread and some basics.
    I feel.more stressed than I have for weeks at the thought of going back, secondary so.not for a while yet.

8. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

The outer edge of an outer London borough: traffic volumes have increased to near normal levels minus school traffic. Buses still circulating empty. Social distancing still seems to be going very well here where shops, pavements etc are concerned. Case numbers are amongst the lowest in the country according to the map online.

9. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Small town with a big middle aged population. Everyone still out walking, crossing over to avoid getting too close, saying good morning etc. Lots of white vans on the move with building work that was stopped going on everywhere again. Park busy with family groups and a few small groups of youngsters but nothing to panic about. Supermarket queues much shorter and small shops where you can just pop in and out are thriving. We're not racing to have a barbecue in the garden but did meet our good friends in the park yesterday, distanced of course. So many of our friends have health issues they are still pretty cautious about moving on.

chelsea2 likes this.
  10. BertieBassett2

BertieBassett2 Star commenter

It's almost as if there's a kind of 'Stockholm Syndrome' going on. A young friend of mine said she didn't want Lockdown to end as she felt safer. I kind of understand that and am a little guilty of having a similar feeling. I haven't been in a shop since Lockdown started, have been furloughed and haven't worked (Supply teaching.) It does feel as though I've been in a protective bubble with nothing (apart from the obvious) to worry about. Strange times, indeed!

BetterNow and lindenlea like this.
  11. Bedlam3

Bedlam3 Star commenter

Village outside a smallish town. I was surprised to see several plane trails in the sky this morning. They stood out having not seen any for a while,

12. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Outskirts of a small city - really hard to say, everything seems pretty relaxed. Local park was full of people an hour ago, traffic pretty busy but nobody using public transport.

There haven't been many cases around here - local schools not going back on Monday it seems.

Seems like a "phoney war" really.

WB likes this.
  13. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Difficult to gauge the local mood after only five supermarket trips, a quick flit to a pharmacy and a nightly circuit of a largely deserted village for exercise. I stayed well clear of VE Day, and there's something along similar lines planned in the village for Sunday night. I'll be in the bunker.

Occasional instances of silliness/ignorance to be seen, but for the most part we're steering clear of humankind.

Example of silliness: Woman laying out a garden table with four chairs on the verge in front of her drive last night announcing "Boris says it's OK!". On our return she's got two neighbours sat at the table only about a metre away from her and she's going on about if she "catches it" at work. Yeah right, at work. :rolleyes:

14. Norsemaid

Norsemaid Lead commenter

Returning to normal I'd say .
    Mind you my neighbour on one side never did understand there was a lockdown going on in the first place , but I notice that today more cars and people are tracking down our road than before .
    Just been to see the dr n the surgery this afternoon . That was empty apart from me and the dr and receptionist . Poor chap having to wear the get up he did , but at least he was protected . I haven't been out for ten weeks at least so I should be okay I the fact that I am fairly safe virus wise .
    I'm in the south west, in the county town of one of the south western counties .

15. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

In my part of London you wouldn't know there was a lockdown! Went out for almost the whole day walking with OH yesterday. Hundreds of people about in parks streets and towpaths, barely a handful wearing masks. Out in the big 'country park' type area lots of large groups picnicking, music, adults and kids. Nearly all the cafes have re-opened for takeaway service. In the Olympic Park there's a whole row of food places and bars with big grass area and picnic tables in front. Nearly all open, all the tables full, it was like normal. You placed your order at doorway, they gave you a number, called it out when food ready and you went and collected it.

And (I am not turning this into another Cummings thread) several times I heard people mention the Cummings saga. Not his specific actions but the whole Cummings episode being taken as an indicator that application of guidelines is now accepted by government to be a pretty flexible thing and it's all soon going to be over. People who thought they wouldn't get away on holiday this year are picking up on cues from ministers that 'well you might'.

But in my area I find none of this surprising. It's half term so families would have been on holiday pre-CV. No home schooling of kids required, beautiful weather, and lots of families live in small flats with no gardens. Of course people are out in the sunshine!

16. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Medium sized village, haven't heard of any cases though rumours on FB that there have been a bit of a rise in cases nearby which were addressed "officially" though not actually answered.

Definite signs of reduced concern about social distancing from some. Nearby town still seems very quiet, I only ever go in and out to the supermarket.

Community spirit has been great through all this and the village is probably a stronger community than it was at the beginning.

I think we're moving to a time of different people applying their own ideas on distancing which may or may not go well. It would be difficult to gather in a crowd of more than 5 here without prior planning so I'll carry on as before.

nomad likes this.
  17. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Another thing I've noticed talking with friends and family, the guidelines have got so convoluted about what you should and shouldn't do that people are just plain confused by them.

Marshall likes this.
  18. jellycowfish

jellycowfish Occasional commenter

There has been a small number of deaths in local villages. Everywhere has been getting gradually busier over the last few weeks with more people out and an increasing number in shops taking no notice of the 2m rule. Today, however, has been just like pre-lockdown. Loads of traffic and large groups of (mainly young) people gathering in front of takeaways and food shops.

nomad likes this.
  19. idlp56

idlp56 New commenter

Village with large town nearby. There’s definitely an air of lockdown is over. Lots of roadworks being done and builders arriving in vans. Big lorries with building materials drive through frequently. People walking about in groups. The buses are adding more routes from Monday. Like many others have said, I was happier in full lockdown and am anxious about the return to school on Monday...

20. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

The amount of traffic seems to be creeping back to normal levels, although the pedestrian precinct in the middle of Uxbridge still feels comparatively quiet. (It is such a relief to be free of the tabard-wearing chuggers). Since we can see Hillingdon Hospital out of our front bedroom window, people in the local area are still very aware of the Covid virus. The memory of the death of Josephine Peter, a nurse at the hospital, who died of the disease, is still fresh.