1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What is the 'Inserts' recording/reporting programme that I'm hearing about?

Discussion in 'Cymru - education news' started by Gandalf, Jul 14, 2011.

1. Can someone on here please explain what these are? I keep hearing about them and am wondering if our school should be taking this on board, we are due to be inspected in two years. Are they useful and easy to manage? How much time does it take to use? Is it easy and effective or just another difficult and time consuming IT programme. I am hearing conflicting reports about it. I would be grateful if someone could clarify this, especially if you have first hand experience of using them.

2. We use it. It takes a little bit of setting up (importing pupil details etc) but the people at Incerts are very helpful. Then it is a matter of making the time to mark off the children's attainment against the statements in the national curriculum. Each statement is usually ticked three times (starting to, developing ability to and can...). We decided as a school when that would be done. E.g. half termly for the maths units covered, at the end of a topic of geog/english etc. It can take a bit of time to do the ticking and it takes a bit of experience to get the consistency in levelling right.
    The strength of Incerts is that it is then really useful for monitoring pupils and their progress. All manner of graphs can be generated to show individual pupils or groups. It also shows a class view of the core subjects (inc ICT) and will show in a simple colour code whether they have made the expected level of progress in the time they have been in their current year (all pupil levels show black at the beginning, then turn green if enough statements have been able to be logged or red if they haven't).
    At the end of the year (or whenever really) you can use the INCERTs to generate your reports(you can upload your own template for it to be created in). The reports simply comment on the areas that have been logged for the pupils and there is a bit of dodgy wording, but otherwise they are ok.

3. greta444

greta444 New commenter

We used Incerts to generate our reports and they were alright. All positive comments ie. what the children CAN do. We had to add what they can't do. A few problems with Foundation phase reports but Incerts people were helpful.

4. Thanks for that, very informative, I appreciate it.

5. Thanks for all comments only just realised I posted this on the Welsh site, sorry should have been on the English one but thanks for your replies [​IMG]

6. we looked at Incerts but chose Classroom Monitor instead as it covers everything that we need. It has all of the Welsh curriculums and to me seemed a little easier to use than the others