1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice
  3. The Teacher Q&A will be closing soon.

If you have any information that you would like to keep or refer to in the future please can you copy and paste the information to a format suitable for you to save or take screen shots of the questions and responses you are interested in.

Don’t forget you can still use the rest of the forums on theTes Community to post questions and get the advice, help and support you require from your peers for all your teaching needs.

Dismiss Notice

What is the greatest John Carpenter film?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by TheHistoryGuy, May 14, 2011.

1. Halloween?
    The Thing?
    The Fog?
    Assault on Precinct 13?
    Escape from New York?
    Ghosts of Mars?
    Vampires?
    They Live?
    Escape from LA?
    Christine?
    Big Trouble in Little China?

2. Escape from New York.
    Village of the Damned.

3. Not really a fan

But if I have to choose I will go for Starman as I have a bit of a thing for Jeff Bridges

(Not that Kurt is not totally gorgeous)

4. I admit, that influenced my decision.
    In German the film is called "Die Klapperschlange", which is a rattlesnake. I find that more apt!

5. I forgot Village of the Damned, thats a good one.
    I'd like to see Starman but it doesn't appear to be available on DVD at moment.
    Will also add Prince of Darkness and In the Mouth of Madness to the list.

6. Do you have a broken leg or are otherwise recuperating?

7. Uhh that reminds me of Rear Window. Basically after an evening marking essays, creating teaching resources, or reading for CPD, the way I relax before bed is to watch a film on DVD. I watch a movie on DVD almost every night and have doen so for a few years. I was horrified when I recently estimated how many DVDs I've got and how much money I'd spent, although admittedly a lot were fromt he £3 selection in the supermarkets.

8. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

Greatest, don't you mean least tedious?
    I have not seen them all, I think I didn't go to sleep watching precinct 13.

9. Fairy Nuff [​IMG]

10. anon468

anon468 New commenter

Oh c'mon! The Thing by a country mile!!
    It still scares the living daylights out of me. The SFX were way ahead of their time and they still stand up to scrutiny. Excellent film.
    HistoryGuy - I can highly recommend LoveFilm for DVDs and 'watch online' streamed films for not a lot of money each month. Not just films, but TV shows, documentaries etc.

11. dumpty

dumpty Lead commenter

Escape from New York was brilliant. Reminds me of how London is getting and in many areas, is already.
    Russell plays the character amazingly well....tough but also a little tongue-in-cheek with the Clint Eastwood accent and how he allows his own (real life) height to be teased with the many 'Oh, I thought you'd be taller' lines.
    A marvellous film. The follow up is good as well, but you can tell it was made by Carpenter for the fans and endless requests for a sequel. What was incredible again was that Russell slipped into the same jeans and jacket some what, 15-20 years on.....his waist size was the same.

12. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Jophn Carpenter? Never heard of him.

Heard of dome of the films but to be honest the name of the Director never registers with me.

13. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Jophn Carpenter? Never heard of him.

Heard of some of the films but to be honest the name of the Director never registers with me.

14. I rewatching TheThing recently, and if he hadn't done Halloween, then the Thing, followed closely by The Fog (original one) and Escape from New York would be my favourites. Its interesting comparing the monster special affects with Alien, in Alien when the monster gets blasted out of the escape pod its clearly a guy in a monster suit, I guess The Thing was made on a smaller the budget yet the monsters are so much better. I was really surpised that Enrico Morriconi did the music for The Thing, as it sounds so similiar to Carpenter's own music for Halloween, The Fog and Escape from New York, and the score adds so much to all four films. Halloween has to be my favourite Carpenter film though, still find it scary after watching it umpteen times.

15. I guess there are some films which you remember by, or want to watch, because of the actor or character eg Clint Eastwood, Dirty Harry, and then there are some films you want to watch because of the director, becuase you have like his previous films so much. I'd put John Carpenter and Geroge Romero for horror, Mel Brooks for comedy, and Alfred Hitchcock for suspense into that category. I suppose Carpenter, like Romero, would also come under the category of 'cult' director, in that they make, in the main, lower budget independent films which have attracted a dedicated following but are not necessarily ever going to be very successful in the mainstream.

16. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

'Dark Star' was John Carpenter's best film in my humble opinion. Not only unique and accomplished in itself (given that it was a student project) but also without it there'd have been no 'Red Dwarf'.

I wasted a couple of hours of my life waiting for 'Assault on Precinct 13' to get exciting and match all the hype, but was hugely disappointed. Couldn't see what all the fuss was about.

17. Am I allowed to say I don't think any of them are great.
    Watchable to pass time if there's nothing else on but not great.

18. Heretic.

The Thing is Carpenter's greatest film.

19. Halloween and The Fog. The former is a favourite of mine as I did my dissertation on masks/make-up in films and I watched it about 30 times. Every single time, the music made me tingle and there were bits where I would jump even though I knew what was coming next.
    And the fact it's a cut-up, painted Captain Kirk mask makes me [​IMG].
    The Fog is also cheesy horror at its finest. Saturday night entertainment at its best. Well, not now I have children. Saturday nights are now spent mopping up food and urine from the carpet and trying not to weep with tiredness!