1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What is the greatest horror movie ever made?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by TheHistoryGuy, May 22, 2011.

1. Just thought of some more:
    No Vacancy?
    Wrong Turn?
    The Hills have Eyes? (original c. 1980)
    The Hills have Eyes? (remake)
    Scary Movie?
    Nightmare on Elm Street (c.1980 original)
    The Howling?
    Hellraiser?
    The Omen? (late 70s original)
    The Wolf Man? (original 1940s)
    The Invisible Man? (original 1930s)
    Dracula? (original 1930s)
    Frankenstein? (original 1930s)

2. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Lead commenter

I like the ones that are so bad they're good: "Chamber of Horrors" "House of Wax" and "Theatre of Blood" spring to mind.
    The two movies that frightened me most were "The Most Dangerous Game" and "The Hand".

3. Was Hallowe'en III that awful one about the mask?
    I love the original Halloween. There was a thread on here recently about scary films and it made me watch Wolf Creek as lots of people had recommended it, really wish I hadn't watched it, I still get a bit scared thinking about it!

4. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

I tend not to watch them. Can't see the point in scaring myself shitless. But of those I have seen the following really did scare me:
    Halloween (the first one)
    Jeepers Creepers
    Carrie
    The Shining
    Alien (the first one)
    Texas Chainsaw Massacre
    The Exorcist (probably becasue it actually WAS kind of credible!)

5. Amytiville
    Carrie
    Great Expectations. Don't laugh that guy in the graveyard scared the life of me.

6. Sooty, I've been having a bit of a Vincent Price week. I was watching Theatre of Blood last week, loved Vincent Price's hammy Shakespeare. I've just watched The Abominable Dr Phibes and Dr Phibes Rises Again, which are even worse. Actually both versions of House of Wax are so bad they're good, the original Vincent Price one and the remake with Paris Hilton. I've been watching the remakes of House on Haunted Hill, so I think I'll watch the original Vincent Price one next. Is The Hand the short Amicus one with Christopher Lee where he deliberalty knocks down a painter in his car or is it the Michael Caine one (I've heard of that but not seen it).

7. Yes, but its anther 'so bad its good' and and I love the John Carpenter music.
    Wolf Creek was disturbing, especially as there was a simular real life event involving a British tourist that was going through the courts around that time.

8. I find the Japanese horrors the most scary.
    The original version of the Ring and The Grudge were really scary - slept with the lights on those nights.
    I did think that Paranormal Activity was quite scary in parts and had me jumping at all the noises in my flat after watching it.

9. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Lead commenter

Yes, "The Abominable Dr Phibes" is delightfully awful. I meant the Michael Caine film: that gave me nightmares. In terms of good horror, I'd like to nominate "The Beast With Five Fingers", and "An American Werewolf in London".

10. For me, Friday the 13th ... Original ... bottom bunk bed still scares me

11. When I was about eleven, friends of the family came to stray. Their older children had a copy of Nightmare on Elm St and put it on one morning for me to watch with them. I got about two minutes in, squealed my head off, threw my bowl of Frosties in the air and had to hide under my duvet for ages.

12. Oops, Stay, not stray! Although....

13. BelleDuJour

Yes scary, but also touching, sexy, sad........brilliant film and even more brilliant soundtrack!

14. anotherauntsally

anotherauntsally Senior commenter

I don't really watch horror films but 'Dead of Night' (for the ventriloquist's dummy) and 'The Shining' are ones I remember.

15. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

I used to love the Dr. Phibes films when I was a teenager. I can't take most horror movies at all seriously though.
    My nomination is Nosferatu, cheesey in parts but still properly scary at the same time.
    I know it's not a horror movie but One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest is a seriously scary film because of the powerless predicament the Jack Nicholson character is in and the ultimate conclusion.

16. I like American Werewolf in London, although I think at least in part it is comedy horror. Werewolfery must have been in the air in 1980 as there were three werewolf movies that came out at the same time, American Werewolf in London, The Howling, and Wolfen. Of the three American Werewolf is definitely the best. However The Howling has some really scary bits that make you jump out of your seat. Wolfen was strange, set in New York with Albert Finney, and based on Native American legends, but I have an affection for it. I think Lon Chaney's The Wolfman from 1940 is still the best werewolf film.

17. I don't know how I could forget them, but I should have put George Romero's Zombie films near the top of the list:
    Night of the Living Dead
    Dawn of the Dead
    Day of the Dead

18. inky

inky Lead commenter

Nosferatu is horrible, as isPsycho in an entirely different way.

Theres a brilliant French film about two girls on a cycling trip who get a puncture in a village - brilliant suspense but, sadly, I can't remember what it's called.
    "Night of the Demon" used to scare me witless in my teens.

19. I love Dawn of the Dead!

20. BelleDuJour

Oh yes, I remember that one. Isn't it the one with the train and the demon comes out of the sky? That was scary!