1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What is the future of Scottish education?

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by categed, Sep 14, 2011.

1. categed

categed New commenter

What do you think Scottish Education will be like in 10 years time? Will there be teachers teaching in classes will schools provide 24 hour care in case parents want a night off?
    We were talking about this at school and it certainly makes you think it's time to carve out the new career path....[​IMG]

2. categed

categed New commenter

What do you think Scottish Education will be like in 10 years time? Will there be teachers teaching in classes will schools provide 24 hour care in case parents want a night off?
    We were talking about this at school and it certainly makes you think it's time to carve out the new career path....[​IMG]

3. sbf

sbf

Anyone under 30 would be bonkers to get into teaching, i think the rest of us will have to sit it out until we get a package and are told to leave.
    It really not a profession any more, and thats exactly what COSLA want.

4. categed

categed New commenter

I work in a special school and some of the staff think that in the future special schools will all close or it will be like nursery with one teacher overseeing x number of classes but not actually teaching... :(

I am looking at other future employment routes as I can't see this ending soon or happily. The worst thing is that people wont know what a good job most teachers did until we are gone or we stick rigidly to our 35h week and no holiday working.

5. Dominie

Dominie New commenter

McCormac thinks £34k is perfectly OK as a max for unpromoted teachers. So no self respecting graduate with a good degree is going to come in unless for promotion. So more of the same: cliques of SQH trained senior manager greasy pole climbers supervising a mixture of qualified teachers, graduate trainees on "Teach First" placement before the b*gger off to RBS etc to make some real money, teacher assistant experts licensed by the Heidie to take classes and a movable feast of temporary PTs scrabbling for the next short term contract.

Happy days!

6. cochrane1964

cochrane1964 New commenter

Supermarket learning and teaching. Full of modular experiences with nominal links to other areas crammed in by managers searching for angels on pinheads. Feudal, with a few earning a fortune as boards of directors will be conned into bonuses and high salaries to retain and recruit stars. 15 years on, a public backlash as it is realised that unqualified staff are putting kids and learning at risk as HTs corruptly skim budgets to boost bonuses. In other words....a great success.

7. Wait... Scotland's education has a future???

8. Teaching used to be such a great career choice, in the days when the job was teaching.
    My heart bleeds for my young colleagues who are five or ten years into their career---what on earth will they have to face over the next twenty years in this profession? As for new entrants, I have done an about-face on this from just a couple of years ago. I would now urge anyone considering teaching to think again. Avoid it if at all possible. Teaching is just not worth all the hassle anymore.

9. holdingon

holdingon Occasional commenter

agree
    it is such a shame - everything we are asked to do seems to take us further from the core of our
    jobs - shame

10. Flyonthewall75

Flyonthewall75 New commenter

I have just heard a discussion on the radio this morning about a 'new' government initiative in England and Wales to test children's knowledge of phonics and words at age six.
    The BBC Education Correspondent actually admitted that she had to ask someone what was meant by 'phonics'. Precisely what qualifications do you need to be an Education Correspondent?
    There, perhaps, is one of the reasons for the problems we are experiencing in education today.
    Whilst few of us would consider we had sufficient experience or expertise to question, let's say, the success rate of root canal treatment carried out by dentists, there are many within society who have an opinion on just about everything that happens in schools, based largely on their own individual experience of having been a pupil and the first thing that comes into their head.
    That shared, though very different, experience of attending school unfortunately makes education an easy target for politicians and the media to exploit. Shock, horror - one in ten pupils leave primary school with a reading age of just seven!
    That figure, of course, has been fairly consistent over at least the last 50 years, even before one factors in all the other detrimental societal changes, and it reflects the ability spread that exists within the population. Of course, don't tell the population that because they may be offended.
    It also doesn't help to confuse the voting and viewing public with too much factual information, especially if they have children at school and they are worried about their future educational and work prospects. Much better to feed their anxiety about teachers and schools by calling for competency procedures, greater efficiency and reduced costs.
    To quote a line from that 'popular' educational soap: "I've never met a failing pupil, only failing teachers." That may make us chuckle, but many will actually believe it.
    To return to the dentistry analogy. I recently attended a dental appointment. I arrived in good time and was eventually seen 30 minutes late which is about the norm. The atmosphere in the waiting room was tranquil, with ambient music and tropical fish. A number of dental nurses wandered around apparently looking for something to do and the receptionist answered the phone at least twice in thirty minutes.
    My dentist did a routine check and offered to sell me a new electric toothbrush. Although he earns at least three times my salary and considerably more than the dental nurses and receptionist, I am sure he has worked hard for his position. I should know because I taught him as a 10 year old.
    I do wonder, sometimes, why we as teachers have allowed our profession to be so undervalued, de-skilled and blamed for all the ills of society. Are we just too susceptible to emotional blackmail and charges of 'letting children down'.
    I suspect if we don't draw a line in the sand now, children and young people are going to be let down for generations to come.

11. Dominie

Dominie New commenter

Nail. Head. Hit.
    People (the voters and politicians) say they value education and teachers. They don't. What they value, for the most part, is a compliant and submissive teaching force which is happy to have its chin tickled now and again and which views itself as tragic heroes for whom the vocation of teaching is a reward unto itself.
    There has only been one time in my career when teachers have been accorded the salaries they deserved - right at the start. The Houghton Commission gave me a starting salary of £4000 per year. Over £30k in today's terms and that was a starting salary. Inflation soon ate it away.
    The only reason I got that was due to concerted strike action by Scotland's teachers in the years prior to the award.
    If we want better pay and conditions we had better learn the lesson of the 70s.

12. And the recent EIS vote to savage supply colleagues demonstrates that the current teaching force in this country is well behind on this particular lesson.

13. ryeland

ryeland New commenter

Too right - the long shadow of 1980's values.