1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What is the funniest parody commedy movie ever made?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by TheHistoryGuy, May 1, 2011.

1. Airplane? I have watched it so many times yet still almost pass out with laughing: the queue of people to slap the hysterical woman; the ill girl's face when her infusion line is knocked off by the guitar; the disco scene...
    The Naked Gun? Leslie Nielsen back from Airplane via Police Squad, great, George Kennedy, Priscilla Presley and OJ, love it
    The Naked Gun 2 1/2 - The Smell of Fear? More great Nielsen, Kennedy, Priscilla and OJ, still lovign it
    The Naked Gun 3 1/3 - The Final Insult? Leslie Nielsen,Kennedy, Priscilla, OJ AND Anne Nicola Smith.
    Spy Hard? Nielsen does it again
    Young Frankenstein? Gene Wilder in classic Mel Brook's film, can't get enough of Madeline Kahn, Marty Feldman is so good
    High Anxiety? Mel Brook's homage to Alfred Hitchcock, heavenly
    Blazing Saddles? Mel Brook's classic, am I the only one who thinks Madeline Kahn was the world's most talented actress?
    The Adventure of Sherlock Holme's Smarter Brother? Heavenly combination of Madeline Kahn, Marty Feldman and Gene Wilder, anyone for the Kangeroo Hop?
    Silent Movie, Brooks does it again and Marty Feldman is so funny.
    Scary Movie? great
    Scary Movie 2? great again
    Scary Movie 3? still great
    Scary Movie 4? again great

2. How could I have forgot the following:
    Spaceballs? Another triumph for Mel Brooks
    Robin Hood - Men in Tights? Gentler comedy parody from Mel Brooks but still great
    Dracula - Dead and Loving it? More gentle but funny comedy parody from Mel Brooks, and Leslie Nielsen is back

3. I'd have to say Airplane. Not sure if it was the first of its kind, but it was the first I saw.

4. Helena Handbasket

Helena Handbasket New commenter

I love Airplane 'I am serious, and don't call me Shirley'. That and the guy in the control tower - he is my favourite character in it.
    Enchanted is also a pretty good send up by Disney of themselves.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

But Galaxy Quest is a documentary!!!!

6. The things that people confess to on hear

*shakes head*

7. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

I was trying to bring up a small child and support Mrs MSB on one measly teacher's income, so for a few years I moonlighted as a sci fi collectables dealer, providing anoraks with their fix of old toys and comics. It was a shameful episode I know but times was hard...

Please don't ever tell my Mum, she thinks I was playing the piano in a brothel.

8. LoL

9. cariad2

cariad2 New commenter

That reminds me of one of my favourite autobiographies:
    [​IMG]

10. cariad2

cariad2 New commenter

I really enjoyed that film, but think of it as more of a satire than a parody.

11. Hmm. Parodies I have seen: Galaxy Quest, Spaceballs, Airplane, Shaun of the Dead, Hot Fuzz, many Carry One.

Galaxy Quest: superb, and I AM a Trekkie. It was so much more than simply a parody
    Spaceballs: OK, not as good as GQ - more obvious.
    Airplane: Set the trend I think, one of the best
    Shaun of the Dead: My DH made me watch this as he loves zombie films. it was OK
    Hot Fuzz: I quite enjoyed this
    Out of all the Carry ons, my favourite was Carry On Cleo - absolutely fantastic

I never considered the Truman Show to be a parody although I do like it.

12. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Airplane has to be the best, I also think Dark Star and Carry on up the Khyber.

13. dumpty

dumpty Lead commenter

I think most of the films mentioned all had great scripts, but what sets the memorable ones apart is the acting and the actors - here Leslie Nielsen was untouchable. Mel Brooks was awful as a comic actor and yet always insisted having parts in his own films, instantly dragging them down a few notches. I often found his scripts too schoolboyish in large parts.

14. I agree. I still laugh at some of the corny gags and the whole premise of it. It's stood the test of time I think.

15. I agree with most of the other suggestions on here, with the addition of Mars Attacks!
    (When I'm calling youoo-ooo-ooo[​IMG] )
    [​IMG]

16. Recent paraody movies which I thought were going to be rubbish but then actually quite enjoyed:
    The News Movie - Steven Segal parodies himself as 'C o c k puncher'.
    Superhero Movie - Nielsen back again, sadly for one of his last outings
    Meet the Spartans - so bad its good!
    Recent parody movies which I thought were going to be good but turned out to be rubbish:
    Big Fat Important Movie - I was hoping it was tongue in cheek but then realised it wasn't - how did oen of the guy's who brought us Airplane and Naked Gun fail so spectacularly?
    Recent parody movies which I haven't seen yet but want to:
    Stan Helsing - got to see Nielsen in one of his last roles.

17. Loved Galaxy Quest.... watch it about once a month on DVD.... and Shaun of the Dead......... Other favourite is Black Sheep. It's a New Zealand movie, based on the premise, that there are more sheep in New Zealand than humans, and what would happen if they turn nasty? ...........Genetically engineered sheep turn into vicious unpredictable killers, and rampage around the countryside eating humans......... was absolutely hilarious!

18. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Agreed. Probably explains why I found 'Blazing Saddles' a hoot at 15, but don't get it now. I've never had much time for that uniquely American 'if it ain't funny, shouting will make it funnier' mentality which characterises a lot of Mel Brooks movies.

As for 'The Truman Show' - surely that's a parody of the scourge that is 'reality' TV?

19. nomad

nomad Star commenter

'Top Secret' (from the same stable as 'Airplane' and 'The Naked Gun').
    The final skit in 'Kentucky Fried Movie'.

20. This is not a parody but I cannot watch it without weeping with laughter - The Mousehunt!