1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the new look TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide in the welcome lounge and help forum.

What is the differnce between a bar chart and a block graph?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by ceiiach, Feb 15, 2008.

1. Just planning C2 and getting my knickers in a twist,,, what is the differnce as the book I am looking at seems to use the terms interchangably...is this right? Please help, don't want to confuse my lovely yr 3/4 children anymore than I already have!!!

2. Just planning C2 and getting my knickers in a twist,,, what is the differnce as the book I am looking at seems to use the terms interchangably...is this right? Please help, don't want to confuse my lovely yr 3/4 children anymore than I already have!!!

3. nomad

nomad Star commenter

A bar chart or bar graph is a way of showing information by the lengths of a set of bars. The bars are drawn horizontally or vertically.

If the bars are drawn vertically, then the graph can be called a column graph or a block graph.

4. So if I draw them vertically I can call it both and not be wrong?

5. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Precisely. Demonstrate using a set of baby's wooden cube blocks to form a block graph before transferring it to paper in 2D form.

6. I thought that one of them had gaps between the bars and the other one didn't!?!

7. I thought one had gaps between and the other didnt but cant remember which is which. I think a block graph has the spaces and a bar chart is where they are stuck together could be worng though!

8. I thought that a block graph could be made up of blocks (with gape) but in the book I am using they look exactly the same :(

9. I think...
    There are spaces when the data is wholly independent and stands alone e.g. favourite colours - you would have a bar for blue and a space and a bar for green etc. If the data is following on (often with groups) then you have the bars next to each other e.g. marks in a test - a bar for the no. of children to score 1-10, another for 11-20, another for 21-30 etc. In the latter case you would not have the spaces.

I consider the terms bar chart and block graph to be interchangeable.

labtech28 likes this.
  10. Sorry, but a bar chart should have gaps between bars if it is showing discrete, not continuous data. Eg Favourite fruits would have gaps as they are not continuous, journey times to school would be joined if saying 0-5 minutes, 5-10 minutes etc.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/scotland/education/bitesize/standard...
    According to this site a block graph has the bars divided up into blocks.

labtech28 likes this.
  11. You beat me wotsitagain!

12. Thanks guys!! It all makes sense now :)

13. Imagine a computer game with bars, usually horizontally, showing how much health, how much ammunition, how much time etc.

Gaps between each bar.

I love games like that.

Anyone played 'Small'?

14. RCL3

RCL3 New commenter

Well in the new curriculum it is clear that there is meant to be a difference ... Year 3 Maths: "Know the difference between a bar chart & a block graph."

15. Lynsey_E

Lynsey_E New commenter

A block graph and a bar chart can both be used to show discrete data. A block graph is made up of separate blocks and as such, doesn't need an axis to enable the data to be interpreted as the blocks can be counted. A bar chart shows the data as single bars and so requires reading and interpreting the scale of the y axis to identify the value. Both types of graph need to have a gap between the bars. Hope that helps.