1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What is the difference of Maths teaching between IB MYP and GCSE

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by Sarreyh, Dec 25, 2018.

1. Sarreyh

Sarreyh New commenter

Merry Christmas first.

So far Ihave only taught GCSE level in state schools. However, I am going to join an IB school to teach MYP Maths soon.

In my understanding, the subject content between two curriculums is equivalent. And I am absolutely fine for any academic challenge. My concern is how teaching should be adapted from GCSE to MYP due to the different assessment methods. Is there anything I can prepare before starting to teach IB?

Any advice will be much appreciated.

2. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

Well you could ask your school to send you to a Category 1 MYP workshop for maths...

Sarreyh likes this.
  3. adamcreen

adamcreen Occasional commenter

4. Sarreyh

Sarreyh New commenter

Thanks.

5. Sarreyh

Sarreyh New commenter

I have been looking for some IB stuff, it looks like a myth. Don't feel good about it actually.

6. Karvol

MYP is well, MYP. Out of every 10 IB teachers you will meet, 1 or 2 will have something positive to say about the MYP, the rest dislike it. Now it could be because it is a somewhat touchy feely syllabus or that we don't know how to teach it. I have never taught it, so don't really know much about it.

There is a syllabus, of sorts. If you message me your email address I can send you all the information I can get from the IB on it. I am not sure how useful it is going to be without looking at the MYP framework and unit plans. You really need to get in touch with your school and get sent on a basic course.

I wasn't taking the pish when I recommended you ask your school to do so (well not completely, anyway). If you are going to do this properly, get trained up.

Sarreyh likes this.
  7. Karvol

Also, knowing what you have to teach is predicated by what is going to be required at the Diploma level. The way the MYP is set up is somewhat experiential and, also, somewhat vague.

I would suggest you also have a look at IB Diploma syllabi to get an idea of what is required at that level. However, the Diploma programme is changing, so the new syllabi have not been released as yet.

Sarreyh likes this.
  8. GeordieKC

GeordieKC Occasional commenter

Contact the school and ask what you should be doing to prepare, the school has recruited you and should support your transition to teaching MYP. Expect to need to make some significant changes to how you plan and teach. The content could be identical, but the approach is likely to be different.

As mentioned above there are training courses available and the school should arrange for you to attend (online or in person), and there are forums operated by the IB that the school can give you access to, but in reality you cannot make much progress until you have access to the school's documentation and an understanding of how they operate the MYP Curriculum Framework.

It is quite possible and not unreasonable that the school would rather you join them before you start doing to much about the transition to MYP.

Sarreyh likes this.
  9. Sarreyh

Sarreyh New commenter

That's very helpful indeed. Many thanks. I guess it is better to ask the school or just wait to see.

10. Sarreyh

Sarreyh New commenter

Many thanks. I think I would do what you suggested.

11. Penny10p

Penny10p Occasional commenter

I don't like the MYP as a whole and think it is particularly disastrous for Maths. It may have changed in the last 4 years since I taught it, however, and a lot depends on how the school implement it. The actual Maths teaching should be no problem. The IB endorses a text book, which you can just follow. The main problem is the assessment. There is no externally marked exam at the end of KS4, although they were introducing optional exams. I don't know how that worked out. Usually it was down to teacher assessment, which can be difficult to standardize. The IB is rather obsessed with "investigating" and allocates a whole assessment criteria to it. In my experience of teaching KS3, most students were not up to the investigating part and teachers spent an inordinate amount of time devising investigations to fit in with the mark scheme or 'level descriptors' as they were known. Many students became very discouraged because they had good Maths skills but could not produce what was required for MYP assessment and so began to feel that they were bad at Maths. Maybe some teachers like the MYP but I would be interested to why!

Sarreyh likes this.
  12. Sarreyh

Sarreyh New commenter

That is really interesting yet valuable comments based on real teaching experience. Thanks.

13. briancant

briancant Occasional commenter

The MYP is as good or as bad as you and the school make it. Unfortunately most schools make it very, very bad.

Sarreyh likes this.
  14. Sarreyh

Sarreyh New commenter

Thank you:)

15. Penny10p

Penny10p Occasional commenter

How do you make MYP maths good?

16. lou1990lou

lou1990lou New commenter

My first thing I say is not to do a Cat 1 course, but do a Cat 2. That's what I did and everyone says Cat 2s are not very good.
    However, I had been teaching it for a couple of months.

My second thing is that you need to contact your school. Ask for schemes of work as the MYP does NOT have a set curriculum, the school/department decide on it. For example, my school follows the IGCSE objectives.
    The MYP has a 4 criterion to follow:
    • A (knowldege and understanding)
    • B (investigating patterns)
    • C (communication)
    • D (Real-Life Applications)
    They all have their own rubrics that you have to use to assess with. The wording
    of the rubrics change ever so slightly depending on the yesr. My third suggestion is, when contacting the school, ask them for examples of each type of assessment they use so that you can get a grasp of what it looks like.

I was very excited to get started on the MYP (the idea that investigation and communication was so invigorating) but the assessment aspect kinda kills that excitement. So, (fourth suggestion) whilst you are in your current school (ans you may already do this anyway!) , try and do as many inquiry based lessons as possible, any lessons where patterns can be formed.

These sites could be useful
    https://www.ibo.org/programmes/middle-years-programme/curriculum/mathematics/

https://www.ibo.org/digital-toolkit/brochures-flyers-and-posters/

A google search for rubrics does not show a lot of good results (some of the rubrics are not the most recent, and they dont show them as specific years - hence asking the school for examples.)

17. sarahfurley

sarahfurley New commenter

I'm currently at an IB school in Hong kong and previously taught GCSE and igcse. There's pros and cons but a lot will depend on how your school implements it as others have said. First the pros... I love the inquiry approach to teaching and the freedom to make more interesting assessments. We currently do one on quadratics in year 9 where they make their own catapult and model the path taken using some physics software and discuss the real life aspects of quadratic functions. I like that there's no fixed order or timeline so you can spend more or less time on topics and go into more depth to suit the class. I like that it encourages good mathematical skills and communication if done well. However there's some big cons...its a lot of work and the marking and standardizing assessments is especially painful. It's also only as good as the people deciding and teaching the curriculum. I'm lucky to have a good hod and strong team of collaborative colleagues but it could be a disaster. There's not long enough to just teach as each of the 4 criteria have to be assessed a minimum of twice per year. In reality that's a hefty assessment every 4-6 weeks per class. I'm not a fan of the investigation criterion, it's hard to fit it in the curriculum in an authentic way that can be assessed.
    Hope that helps and good luck. Do get on touch with your school about preparing