1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What is the difference between SENDCo and SENCO?

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by shoshieisabelle, Nov 25, 2019.

1. shoshieisabelle

shoshieisabelle New commenter

Hi All,

A very simple question, I suspect it won't be easy to answer. I'm trying to send out a survey to professional teaching staff. According to our data, individuals have identified as SENDCo or SENCo. Is there a difference? Or is it a change in terminology to include disabilities?

Any help identifying how to represent these roles (or combine them) most meaningfully in a survey would be great!

Thank you in advance

Siobhan

2. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

I'm not a professional or practitioner in this area, so I can't comment on the underlying intention of those who adopt 'SENCO' compared to those using 'SENDCO'. However I suspect the change dates to the issue of the current Code of Practice in 2015, replacing the 2001 Code.

2001 Code was titled "Special Educational Needs Code of Practice"

2015 Code is titled "Special Educational Needs and Disability Code of Practice …"

Hence SEN >>> SEND

However, the 2015 Code [para 6.2] (and the statutory regulations) still refer to a 'SENCO' (not a 'SENDCO') being appointed in mainstream schools:

"Mainstream schools ... must … designate a teacher to be responsible for co-ordinating SEN provision – the SEN co-ordinator, or SENCO..."

Flanks and shoshieisabelle like this.
  3. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

sendco is the uptodate word, basically. Its not always used though

shoshieisabelle likes this.
  4. shoshieisabelle

shoshieisabelle New commenter

Thank you Rott Weiler. When I look at the roles, they seem very similar so I suspect you are right. Thank you for being specific and pointing to the change in terminology in the code of practice.

5. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide