1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What is the difference between Ryanair and the UK's education?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by TCSC47, Sep 19, 2017.

1. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-41311603
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-41319482

Well, not much really. Both a disaffected and demoralised workforce who are treated as mushrooms by their employers and are leaving the business in droves.

Where the difference arises of course is that Ryanair can cut back their services to accommodate their loss of pilots and other workforce, with the repercussions on their customers being pretty much a one off. Now, I have every sympathy with these people who have lost their holidays. If it was me, I would be hopping mad even if some compensation was offered.

Meanwhile, the tragic and disgraceful leaching and loss of teachers from our schools (remind me how many NQTs leave every year) is nothing less than a disaster for the children who are caught in the middle. They only have one chance at their education and it is the basis of all that follows in their lives. Classes stuffed too full, a succession of supply teachers, lack of planning and running the school properly by SMT trying to fill the holes in the timetable and the effect that a teacher going through a breakdown must have on a class. And more.

Clearly holidays are more important than decent education, and we hear all about Ryanair's mess in the media, "This is a disaster! " However, the real disaster of the destruction of thousands of children's education pretty much goes unreported in much of the media.

Next year people will simply use another air line to book their holidays, putting down this year as experience. And there in lies the rub. There is a wholesale conspiracy by our plutocracy to dismantle our state education system by starving it of resources, and the needs of schools, teachers and children, to encourage it's replacement by an independent one. But in the process, cynically ignoring the lives of the children who will suffer the change through out the rest of their lives.

2. secretsiren

secretsiren Star commenter

The DfE counters your cogent arguments with the following bull: "There are more teachers in schools than ever before" ("with less than half having 10 or more years of experience, and a substantial proportion who are unqualified. Oh, and the PE teacher will be teaching A level Biology because they had sex once and that's the new standard to teach a subject").

"We are spending a lot of money on recruitment." ("But we spend almost nothing on retention because we don't give a tiny rat's trump whether or not we have a well-qualified, content workforce who are willing to do their best - we prefer exhausted, unhappy teachers who're desperate to leave because it costs less to employ unqualified teachers.")

"Teaching is still a competitive career for new graduates." ("Competitive in the sense that after three years, they're fighting to jump ship and get themselves into a better career.")

"Salaries remain competitive for recent graduates." ("As long as they don't expect any pay rises.")

"
    Bursaries attract graduates with STEM degrees into teaching." ("OK, they leave after a year when the £30,000 goes down to £21,000 for their NQT year and they've spent an entire year sobbing in the stock cupboard.")

"Free schools and academies have the flexibility to reward the best teachers." ("But we won't give them much money to do that and we've got rid of pay portability so you can get to work in an academy chain for practically nothing, work on Saturdays and have them change which school you work at whenever they like! Even if it's 50 miles away!")

The stench of lies pervades.

3. zizzyballoon

zizzyballoon Star commenter

Do you know I had no idea how mushrooms were treated, because I have only ever grown them in a polystyrene container on top of the wardrobe, for fun when the children were little. I had to google to find out that you have to throw sheet at them and keep them in the dark. You learn something new every day on this forum.

TCSC47, chelsea2 and InkyP like this.
  4. elledriver

elledriver Lead commenter

State schools have a captive customer base who have no choice.

5. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

Getting back to Ryanair I don't know how they can get away with leaving people stranded abroad when they have booked and paid for their flight. I think I have a Ryanair flight booked one way when I go away in February.

6. Calpurnia99

Calpurnia99 Star commenter

We all made the same comparison in work today! The consumer (child) exists only to serve the boss, and the workforce are beneath notice.

TCSC47 and needabreak like this.
  7. MonMothma

MonMothma Lead commenter

Ryanair wanted to cut their services to improve their punctuality statistics.
    Some schools kick out some pupils to improve their GCSE and A-Level statistics.

I am pretty sure Sir Humphrey would have been proud of their efforts.

8. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

I believe the current problems are caused by the airline being told that it must fall into line with EU regulations on pilot flying hours. Currently, Ryanair calculates the hours on the basis of a year that runs from April to March, but the EU are insisting that it must run from January to December (I don't know why, other than that they are keen on bureaucracy). This has resulted in six months' worth of pilot leave having to be compressed into the last three months of this year, resulting in the cancellation of flights for 400,000 passengers.

The latest news is that Ryanair are offering pilots who have not used up their flying hours huge bonuses (£12,000 has been mentioned) not to take a holiday.

9. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

Ryanair serves the whole of the UK but there's not one UK education system?

sbkrobson likes this.
  10. Crowbob

Crowbob Lead commenter

It was the Irish Aviation Authority applying the pressure. RyanAir have admitted that the problems were a 'mess of their own making' as they failed to plan pilot numbers appropriately...

slingshotsally likes this.
  11. florian gassmann

I believe so, but I don't understand why the EU dictates that the dates within which pilots must take their leave have to be the same across all member states. Do you know a reason?

12. Crowbob

Crowbob Lead commenter

It is not my area of expertise so I don't know.

My understanding was that RyanAir's approach (which is out of line with industry practice) of setting its 'calendar' year as April-March was, in part, to push at the boundaries of 'total' flying time within both a calendar and rolling year with 'new' crew...

13. florian gassmann

I read that Ryanair used April-March because it encompassed the whole off-peak period (October to March) within the same year, preventing crew from taking leave during the peak April-September period when the airline makes most of its money. All the net result is the same, the problem has been caused in 2017 alone by the need to move from the old system to the new.

I have to say that, having experienced poor service from Ryanair in the past, we no longer use them. However, the service doesn't seem very good on any of the budget airlines these days.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2017
  14. schoolsout4summer

schoolsout4summer Star commenter

Wicked, evil Tories.

TCSC47 likes this.
  15. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Star commenter

Yes kept in the dark and fed a lot of sh1t

TCSC47 likes this.
  16. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

Truly the Nasty Party. --- and that is what May calls them herself!

17. ScotSEN

ScotSEN Senior commenter

I've just read an article by a former pilot. He claims it's nothing to do with holidays but more to do with the terrible way the pilots are treated. They are losing more than they can recruit.

18. MonMothma

MonMothma Lead commenter

Michael O'Leary realises that pilots are needed in an airline and if you treat them like ****, they go elsewhere.

When will schools realise the same?

19. blazer

blazer Star commenter

That is their excuse. The fact is flight staff are leaving faster than they can be replaced and they just don't have enough crews to fly their fleet.

20. slingshotsally

slingshotsally Star commenter