1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What is the difference between co-operative learning and play?

Discussion in 'Scotland - curriculum' started by aerumlily, Aug 28, 2012.

1. So this might seem like a very silly question, but I just watched a video about an early years setting on teaching and learning scotland about co-operative learning in the early level. I have taught using co-operative learning in the older age groups in England and in South Africa. After watching this video, I am left wondering, what is the difference between structured role-play and co-operative learning? I believe that role-play does need to be structured at times, especially if it is a new area..... but how is this different from the example of the children taking turns to be teh shop keeper and customer?

2. So this might seem like a very silly question, but I just watched a video about an early years setting on teaching and learning scotland about co-operative learning in the early level. I have taught using co-operative learning in the older age groups in England and in South Africa. After watching this video, I am left wondering, what is the difference between structured role-play and co-operative learning? I believe that role-play does need to be structured at times, especially if it is a new area..... but how is this different from the example of the children taking turns to be teh shop keeper and customer?

3. cochrane1964

cochrane1964 New commenter

Coop learning is more than role play, it involves an element of structure that ends up requiring 'positive interdependence' so that the learning aims cannot be achieved unless everyone contributes.