1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What is the difference between a Senior Teaching Assistant (STA) and a Higher Level Teaching Assistant?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by kerrie88, Nov 23, 2011.

1. What is the difference between a Senior Teaching Assistant and a Higher Level Teaching Assistant? I have never heard of the Senior Teaching Assistant term used only ever heard HLTA of TA, I was just wondering is one more qualified than the other? How do their roles differ?

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Never heard of it either!

3. I still call them LAs (learning assistants) sometimes, and didn't handle the change to LSAa (learning support assistants) too well! Now we have TAs and some LAs who don't do any teaching but just file and listen to readers. To be honest, I welcome any help with open arms!!

4. paulie86

paulie86 New commenter

I have heard of it in two schools. In one school a first school the lady who holds it is basically the SENCO, by all but name she does everything and the head puts her own name on the bottom of things. (I assume she is paid more as she line manages the other TAs.) The other is in a large middle schoool (600) pupils and she basically is assistant SENCO and line manager to half the TAs. She is definitly paid more.

5. littlerussell

littlerussell New commenter

Typically a HLTA is a more qualified & skilled teaching assistant, and a Senior Teaching Assistant is the manager of the other TAs.

HLTA is a nationally recognised position, whereas STA is more likely to be a post within the school's own staffing structure and therefore could mean different things in different schools.

6. These are all meaningless acronymns to make people feel valued for doing jobsof little worth that they don't get paid much to do. Try another acronym - T E S C O.

7. legoearth

legoearth New commenter

You really do show your ignorance you sad little person...