1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What is the daily rate for a supply teacher?

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by michie_49, Apr 15, 2012.

1. bounceback

bounceback Occasional commenter

How you are paid makes a big difference to what you take home. A previous agency I worked through paid me a higher rate but via an umbrella company. I no longer work for them as I found them dishonest. I am now with another agency that pay a lower rate but pay direct and my take home pay per day is slightly more. Also, their schools are generally better behaviour-wise.

howiemartinez - it is actually the law that after 12 weeks you should get pay parity after 12 weeks according to Agency Workers Rights. The only trouble is this is open to abuse as you can be got rid of after 12 weeks in order for them to avoid paying you. It's supposed to be illegal to do this, but there doesn't seem to be any enforcement of these rights.
    Supply teachers pay seems to be a race to the bottom, apart from one or two shortage subjects.

BetterNow and pepper5 like this.
  2. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

I'm currently on £195 a day for doing long-term Science in West Yorks. I've also swung that rate on 3 other occasions for around 7 week spells in Maths/Science in 2017. Not necessarily because I'm worth it but it is me or ....... nobody.

There is a warning attached to this though. I got bounced off one 'long-term' placement after 3 weeks because somebody younger (and presumably cheaper) turned up and then what happened to the verbal agreement of long-term=> permanent?

For day-to-day I've managed between £130-£145 and unemployment is the easy winner there on the vast majority of free days . Fortunately I've only had around 12 free days in 2017.

3. zappaphillius

zappaphillius New commenter

Agencies will always pay you a lot less than what they invoice the school for your services. Don’t be a mug!

4. baxterbasics

baxterbasics Senior commenter

I have been told today that my daily rate will be £110 by one of the biggest agencies in the UK. 17 years' experience teaching.

If it's a long term post needing special skills (eg. my EBD experience), I will demand a lot more.

5. BetterNow

BetterNow Occasional commenter

Therein lies the dilemma. I may refuse to work for less than £150 per day, but the agency may have many on their books who will accept £120. Therefore, if I demand £150, the agency might accept that, but I will get no work...

As in all areas of teaching unless all stand together it's a hopeless race to the bottom...

bounceback and schoolsout4summer like this.
  6. bounceback

The agencies also generally have clauses in their contracts / agreements that the mugs (sorry, teachers), are not allowed to discuss their rates with the schools or other supply teachers. Hmmm, can't imagine why. We are really being manipulated by the agencies.

7. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

Agencies can also try and Dutch auction you, saying that a school is still interested in you, but due lack of funds, wonders whether could you do it for £110 per day, then £100, then £90, and so on downwards and then the job disappears. What sort of profession has teaching become if we are reduced to this sort of sh1te!

8. bounceback

Jolly_Roger1 It seems England is going the same way as Wales where it seems £90 is the going rate. What is the point of working for this rate when you can get a similarly paid job without having to deal with behaviour issues? Even if another job pays less at least the work would be more consistent. Teachers in permanent roles are being treated worse and worse and not getting pay rises so i suppose it's inevitable that it has a knock-on effect for supply teachers.
    You're right, the system is sh!te.

schoolsout4summer likes this.
  9. pink_reindeer

pink_reindeer Occasional commenter

I worked three days last week. My take home pay is £180. So depressing.

agathamorse likes this.
  10. supply287

supply287 New commenter

a hopeless race to the bottom...

[​IMG]

agathamorse likes this.
  11. skye78

skye78 New commenter

£135 a day for me, general cover, rising to £150 for brief planning.

12. tonymars

tonymars Established commenter

In London my current rates
    145 paye
    170 umbrella

But looking at these posts i wonder how long these will last.

13. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

It beats how you manage to get these rates.

14. HS65

HS65 New commenter

Where I am in Hampshire the basic pay for day to day work seems to be around £110 - £120. Two of the agencies paying £110 I know are charging schools about £165 and £180 respectively, so .. not a bad cut!

Longer term seems to go up to £140 - £150 ...... one example at £150 means a school is paying about £230 to the agency. AWR obviously kicks in at some point when they start to get twitchy and talking about how much schools can afford and what does and doesn't warrant a rise to scale.

agathamorse likes this.
  15. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

Why wait for 12 weeks for AWR to kick in (and discover that the school sacks you or the agency can weasel out of it)? If you deserve a decent rate in Week 12 then you deserve it in Week 2, I'll allow that Week 1 is to prove yourself.

With the margins you mentioned the agency can afford to pay the super teacher @HS65 even more if the school is happy with you in Week 1. Even better if you can keep shovelling on the pressure and force the agency to get more out of the school as well. Of course all this depends on how desperate the agency and school is for someone who is half-decent in your area.

16. HS65

HS65 New commenter

They can indeed afford to pay more. It would be interesting to find out what sort of margins they need to keep afloat ..... how much per day for each teacher they place? Negotiations are ongoing ;)

agathamorse likes this.