1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What is the daily rate for a supply teacher?

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by michie_49, Apr 15, 2012.

1. schoolsout4summer

schoolsout4summer Star commenter

Guess !

2. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

I agree with @schoolsout4summer here but the old truism "If you don't ask you don't get" applies even more.

As the agency hasn't been in touch to ask if you'll accept less (same truism here) then it must be about time to ask for more. Trouble is it's what you say at 7:45am that counts not any conversation before.

But there don't appear to be any rates any more, just what the strongest party can get away with. If you can manage a day or 2 of unemployment then it's worth stamping your foot over.

3. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

That can be an issue.

When I was doing supply I knew of other teachers from other agencies getting a higher daily rate. But I was getting work almost every day , they were not. At the end of an average week I had earnt more then them.

Work tends to lead to more work, if you are not getting much to start with you could lose out on the opportunities others are getting.

Its something of a gamble.

4. gingerhobo48

gingerhobo48 Star commenter

Honestly, I'd say no:(. I have done several bouts of supply(daily) since becoming a teacher. When I was doing it in 2001 I was getting 120.00 per day. Every time I came back to it over the years it was still 120.00 a day !

pepper5 likes this.
  5. gingerhobo48

I had this. When I was on long term supply, I was getting 120.00 a day. I got talking to another long term supply in the school who was with a different agency and found out she was getting 140.00 per day. I went back to my consultant and asked for more money as I was doing more. It was hard as he didn't want to give it to me but initially I got 10.00 a day more which went up to 135.00 per day but I really, really had to badger him about this.

pepper5 likes this.
  6. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

I think one of the factors which determines how much work you get from an agency is how soon after registration it finds you work. Once you start working, the agency is more likely to call on you more often. If you languish on an agency's books for more than a few weeks, you will be forgotten.

7. gingerhobo48

I agree with this. I went through a phase of registering with a lot of agencies at one stage. Two, I never heard anything from again.

pepper5 likes this.
  8. Jolly_Roger1

Of the eight agencies I joined over the last five years, only two have actually found me any paid work, and then only dribs and drabs that dried up completely, a couple of years ago. Of the rest, a couple were lots of smoke but no flame, trying to pimp me out for free and the others forgot me entirely.

pepper5 likes this.
  9. gingerhobo48

There was one I spent ages talking to over the phone, the consultant seemed great. I was getting all excited about potentially working in a borough I wanted to, in schools I had either previously worked in, or had always wanted to work in, and he seemed to have ties with all of these schools. I went into London to complete my registration, my consultant wasn't there. I was really disappointed as I wanted to talk to him more and I went through the process anyway as I was there but it was very sterile and awful in fact. I was just a number, another one in a long line of ones to bump up their books. Never spoke to him again or heard from him and never heard from the agency, total waste:mad: but I did get to meet Mr GH for lunch as he works near Borough market:).

pepper5 likes this.
  10. gingerhobo48

The other one was where I had an almost stand up row with the guy(I kid you not, I did stand:mad::eek:) over his insistence about how easy it was to get to certain places like Greenwich with only the matter of the river Thames between us and how he wanted to send me to places which I had emphatically said "no" to over the phone. My blood boiled that day I can tell you, I called him out on every single false claim just to get me into his poksy little office which was more like a porta cabin:mad: It was really hard to find as well but I fell for the smooze, never again, I was more naive then. He didn't have any contacts in schools in boroughs I wanted to work in and lied to my face and said he hadn't said he did:eek:. But he had as I was very particular back then about where I was prepared to work. I should have reported him:mad:.

pepper5 likes this.
  11. Jolly_Roger1

@gingerhobo48: I think most of us have had those sort of experiences with agencies. Some so-called 'consultants' try to mislead you into realms of fantasy that would make even used car or double-glazing salesmen blush.

pepper5 and gingerhobo48 like this.
  12. stefansroka

stefansroka New commenter

I am working as supply teacher with rate 165 per day. I only do long term supply as well and I always have a job.

13. wicked4u2

wicked4u2 Occasional commenter

Jesus. What's your subject?

14. Moony

Moony Lead commenter

Not really, unless you negotiate it. Negotiate too high a one and you might not get as much work.

15. wicked4u2

wicked4u2 Occasional commenter

I have been to several schools so far. Lots of them hired cover supervisors. How do you think asking for more money will get you more work?
    This is the new trend, ppl. Get ready for pay rate cuts if you still want supply.

This is so hilarious seeing ppl here trying to find the courage to ask for more.

16. howiemartinez

howiemartinez New commenter

So I'm considering a long term supply, until July 2018. My daily rate is £120, but has anyone experienced getting more than their daily rate for a long term gig?

17. thewritingsupply

thewritingsupply Occasional commenter

I do day to day CS work - rate is between £60-£75 - I don’t hold QTS as didn’t do PGCE in Secondary - does this sound right or should I be discussing a higher rate with agencies?

Have a part time post so only able to do day to day at the minute.

18. TheOracleAtDelphi

TheOracleAtDelphi Occasional commenter

When I moved to a long term post my agency paid me an extra £7.50 a day (my daily rate was slightly less than yours) in recognition of the fact that I had planning, meetings, parents' evenings etc. They offered unprompted.

19. TheOracleAtDelphi

TheOracleAtDelphi Occasional commenter

W
    When I lived up North I was paid £60 a day (pro-rata for part days) as a cover supervisor. Secondary schools in the area would only pay for CS unless it was a long term position. My current agency is a bit more generous (different part of the country) but I haven't been offered any CS work so I can't say what the pay rates are.
    Depending on where you live I'd say it's nothing to do with QTS or not but policy of secondary schools.

20. The-Gaffer

The-Gaffer Occasional commenter

I think there are several variables at play, the most important being: how easy it would be for the agency or school to find someone else to take your place.

Last year I did a job at a school that no one else on the agencies books would return to: I got paid £20 a day more. Or at least that's what I negotiated however I was being paid through an UC & I don't know how much of that I actually saw.

I also think it depends how long you have been with the agency & what your relationship with them is like. A lady I met teaching at the same school & subject I did a day in was there long term getting £150 a day (or that's what she told me) which was through the same agency that paid an ex colleague of mine £135 a day for the same subject in a much more difficult school.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.