1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What is the daily rate for a supply teacher?

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by michie_49, Apr 15, 2012.

1. I would advise that you use your union membership if your pay has not increased after 12 weeks in post. With union support I took this issue up with my agency who eventually complied. The better rate of pay should reflect your position on the pay scale and be divided by the number of days it is possible to work as a supply teacher and that way your daily rate will reflect proper holiday pay. You have to take the poor rate of pay for the first 12 weeks on the chin and the relative insecurity of your situation.

2. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

SophieAnderton

You are clearly being exploited by the school you work at and by the agency if you are working through one.

Learn something from this: you do have a choice. You might as well go work in an office as a legal assistant or some other type of work where you could learn other skills and earn more money. You might have to top up your studies but it wouldn't be that hard. The schools need you more than you need them; you are the one who has the degree and the knowledge of how to teach and work with children.

Next time you are offered long term supply ask for more money to reflect the work that you are doing in terms of planning, marking, meetings etc. I think you will find the agencies and schools will give you more but you have to stand firm and ask - no wonder you hate working as a supply teacher as it is hard enough as it is without being paid a fair wage. I can't imagine doing all that work for £80 per day which if you take into account the time yo spend outside school hours is less than the minimum wage.

The other thing I would suggest you do is if you can at some point think about a side line business that you could do whether that be making cakes, tutoring, selling energy ( which I do with my husband), photography, or any other skill you have that can earn you extra money to top up teaching - supply or otherwise. Of course you can't do these things all the time if you are teaching since that takes up so much time, but in quiet periods or when you don't have much on the go, then there are things you can do in the nooks and crannies of the day.

Trust next academic year is more prosperous for you and you find a permanent contract for September.

heegee likes this.
  3. tcoll123

tcoll123 New commenter

I've started a new thread on this topic here, community.tes.co.uk/.../715102.aspx . I'm hoping lots of people will contribute so new supply teachers can get a general consesus of what they should expect to be paid.

4. Wonderwoman1

Wonderwoman1 New commenter

That sounds like low pay for a teacher but high pay for a TA. I work as a TA and earn just over £9 an hour.

5. fantastischfish

fantastischfish Established commenter

I've been very fortunate to get a lot of supply work - more than I wanted really (first world problems!). I'm in the North East and registered with a company that now has a partnership with TES. When I receive my payslip, it refers to me as "Cover Supervisor" which was confusing at first because I thought I was being jibbed. Then it was explained that CS is just the term that differentiates those teachers who are doing day-to-day supply from the teachers offered the higher rate who are doing the marking, planning, parents' evenings etc.

I receive £140 per day for day-to-day cover which I think is excellent. This is before tax and pension contributions, but I've certainly never had any complaints about my fee. I also get an allowance towards expenses in terms of tax.

Work has been fairly solid from the beginning of October. Admittedly, one school in particular has given me lots of work in my subject area, which is English, but I've been in lots of different schools in the area.

I'm signed up with two agencies, and the 2nd one is pretty poor. They've offered me only a couple of day's work and even then in terrible schools a long way from home.

It really makes a difference which agency you are with. Schools use the reputable ones so it's worth trying to find out which agency is popular in your area.

6. nearmiss

nearmiss Lead commenter

Expenses against tax? Sounds like an umbrella company to me. Agreed £140 is a decent rate for day to day but the TES ought to know better than allying itself to an agency that uses umbrella co. payroll.

7. fantastischfish

I feel I am treated and paid very fairly by my agency. I'm happy with the service I receive. I can opt in to a pension scheme if I want to, and receive tax relief against my petrol. Seems fair enough to me.

8. PizzoCalabro

PizzoCalabro Established commenter

It might seem 'fair' to you as a recipient of a tax evasion scheme, but other low paid workers who pay the legal tax and NI on their earnings through PAYE, and pay for their travel costs out of taxed income are subsidising you.

9. PizzoCalabro

by 'recipient' I mean 'benficiary'

10. fantastischfish

I'll remember that when they are getting paid holidays. However, since you have remarkable little knowledge of my situation, you are not informed enough. I pay both tax and NI through PAYE. As for travel costs, there are plenty of people in this country to receive a benefit through their employer for their travel expenses. I don't see why you think I'm the correct target for your venom, when I continue to contribute. Just had my P60 actually, so I can see exactly how much tax I've contributed this year. A subsistence allowance is not the same as tax evasion. Climb down.

11. PizzoCalabro

The information you gave was that you receive 'tax relief' against your petrol. If you do, then you are artificially reducing the amount of tax you should pay on your income. If you receive extra amount, over and beyond you daily rate, and that extra amount is effectively more income tat is taxed, that is a different matter, but that is not how you described it. Is it tax relief or is it a taxed additional payment - ie is the tax calculated on your daily rate plus petrol allowance, or is it calculated on the daily rate, minus the petrol ?

12. fantastischfish

What do you want? A copy of my pay advice?

What happens in terms of tax is outlined on the www.gov.uk website and is all above board.

There's no need to turn this into a personal attack - I'm just trying to give an alternative side of the argument re: pay. I find that many people are so negative on this forum, where as I've found that supply is treating me very nicely.

Sorry about the chip on your shoulder.

13. Good for you Eva-Smith.

If you are happy with what you are paid and the way it is done, fantastic. I was not happy with, what seems like, the fraudulent NI and tax evading practices of some agencies through offshore umbrella companies. Also, having to pay through an umbrella company versus PAYE is often not a choice you have! With some agencies, paying to get paid through an umbrella company is the only option available to supply teachers, which is DISGRACEFUL.

£140 p/day for day-to-day supply is good. As you say, I would expect more for something which is long-term with a small amount of planning etc (£160+). And whilst this is teaching you must always ask for what you are worth - I did. If your schools love you, offer you FT jobs and ask for you back - you are in demand and your pay should reflect this. A good/reputable agency knows this and most schools want consistency with their day-to-day supply teachers. Don't diminish your value - good supply teachers are sought after and reputable agencies and good schools will usually pay a bit more.

14. peakster

peakster Star commenter

If you haven't done an NQT year you do not have QTS

Therefore you are an unqualified teacher and should not be on supply at all.

15. tcoll123

tcoll123 New commenter

Peakster - you have QTS on completion/passing of your training. You are a qualified teacher, but must complete an induction NQT year to be fully qualified to work in state/LEA schools.

NQTs - ie. those who have achieved QTS but have not yet completed an induction year - can take on day-to-day supply in state/LEA schools for a maximum of five years after training, without completing an induction year as an NQT.

It is also possible to complete an induction year while on long-term supply (as I am doing now).

Technically the rules don't apply to Academies and Free Schools who can employ anyone to teach their pupils, but in reality most follow the system described above.

Please make sure the information you post is accurate as there will probably be a few NQTs looking on here for advice.

(In the meantime anyone looking to find out how much they should expect to be paid, please continue to use this thread! community.tes.co.uk/.../715102.aspx )

16. languageswithmona

languageswithmona New commenter

If an agency pays 100 £ for day to day work, how much is that after tax and fees?

17. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

As an approximation, you can expect to pay 20% of your wages towards Income Tax and National Insurance contributions. So if someone earns £100 a day, after taxes they would receive approximately £80.00. Don't forget, however, that is on taxable pay. Everyone gets a tax free allowance in connection with Income Tax.

18. yellowflower

yellowflower Occasional commenter

I'm on m3 and starting supply this sept.... my agency has said my pay will be £120... does this seem fair?! I'm not sure!

19. nearmiss

nearmiss Lead commenter

20. yellowflower

yellowflower Occasional commenter

I'm new to this.... what would you suggest it should be?