1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What is the correct term for a shape...

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by amyclare, Nov 11, 2011.

1. that is not any other recognised shape? As in, a rather random mix of straight and curved sides. Is it just an irregular polygon or is there another term?

I'm doing shape with Yr 1 next week and want to get it right. I can remember most of my a-level maths, but don't remember covering this in college :) Thanks.

2. that is not any other recognised shape? As in, a rather random mix of straight and curved sides. Is it just an irregular polygon or is there another term?

I'm doing shape with Yr 1 next week and want to get it right. I can remember most of my a-level maths, but don't remember covering this in college :) Thanks.

3. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

A polygon has to have straight sides so it wouldn't be one of those.
    Once all the sides are straight then you fall into irregular pentagon, hexagon, etc
    If they aren't then I would just call it a shape.

4. DM

DM New commenter

Hmmm Reuleaux polygons have curved sides.
    [​IMG]
    But follow bombay's advice and just call it a shape.

5. I would have thought "not all shapes have names..... we have names for special kinds of shapes" would be enough explanation for Year 1

6. strawbs

strawbs Established commenter

Gorthugher da! to you myttin_da!
    I agree that it would be fine to use the "only special shapes have names" definition

7. mmmmmaths

mmmmmaths New commenter

Does that mean "I like a good fry up too"!

8. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

If you are to do anything with it rather than just describe it, you probably need to divide it up into shapes you can do calculations with.

9. DaveGale

DaveGale Administrator

I rather agree with the comments before.

You could use more general terms like 'closed' and 'open' shapes or 'concave' and 'convex' where appropriate but I strongly suspect that in year 1 it'd be best to accept that there are so many possible shapes that they couldn't possibly all have different names.

Funny how A level maths doesn't even cover the yr1 syllabus eh? ;-)

Dave

10. DM

DM New commenter

In Year 1?

11. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

Eyesight test required - I thought the OP said Year 11!

12. ian60

ian60 New commenter

Hmm, according to Google, you have just said Good morning! to you Good evening!
    ... in Cornish

It's ok, you don't have to explain why...

13. strawbs

strawbs Established commenter

otherway round, but yep! just welcoming myttin_da