1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What is the best way to welcome children back to school after the holidays

Discussion in 'Primary' started by kevinjames12, Jan 8, 2012.

1. Hi all,

I am just wondering what other teachers' do to welcome their children back to school after the holidays? I have a few insecure children in my class who dread the thought of leaving their Mums and Dads and I want to easy them back into school smoothly.

Has anyone got any ideas on things I can do to ease the process? I have a mixed Year 1 and 2 class.

Best wishes,

Kev.

2. greta444

greta444 New commenter

Treat the first day like any other. You're insecure kids will recognise the routine and get back into it quickley.

3. modgepodge

modgepodge Occasional commenter

Perhaps I'm a bit harsh but I wouldn't put up with any crying or being silly about it. I'd just say "school has started, we're all doing XXX, come and join in please". If ignored most children will come and join in eventually. If you indulge them and give them attention it only makes them worse.

4. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I agree with the doing whatever you did last term, they want familiarity. However I'd also make sure lessons are up and ready to go, excitement being generated from the moment they arrive. Make the first lesson of the day the most exciting one, so the children 'want' to be in class. Meet them from their parents and whisper a 'secret' about the lessons.

In our school if children are upset about leaving parents, they generally get to help with the register or sit in the teacher's lap or sit with a friend, whatever makes them feel better. Definitely not ignored.

If however they are just throwing a tantrum about leaving, generally the DH takes them off for a while until the tantrum finishes and they are returned to class.