1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What is the best way to send a very large parcel?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by cosmos, Nov 30, 2011.

1. My father wants me to send his ancient wooden cross country skis to him.(no, I have no idea why they are in my loft!).
    They are 6' in length so will make a big parcel. What is the easiest and cheapest way of sending them?

2. My father wants me to send his ancient wooden cross country skis to him.(no, I have no idea why they are in my loft!).
    They are 6' in length so will make a big parcel. What is the easiest and cheapest way of sending them?

3. Take them with you next time you visit?

4. doomzebra

doomzebra Occasional commenter

Fold them several times

5. I've sent a variety of parcels to different places (home and abroad) in recent years (some large, some heavy, some delicate) and I always use whichever courier service offers the cheapest, quickest option. So long as you know the packaged weight and dimensions of your parcel you can get a quote online from lots of different courier services. It's easy and convenient to do. I've used DHL, FedEx, ParcelForce and CityLink and found them all to be very reliable and economical.

6. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

If you use a courier it might be worth finding out which one has a depot nearest to your dad's address. If they're unable to deliver because the householder is out, they take it back to the depot. If they can't deliver a second time the recipient has to drive to the depot to collect it. Pain in the bum but there you go.

7. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Is he expecting snow? I hope not,after last year. Mind you,it's freezing uphere today (and my boiler has chosen today to go to boiler heaven!)

8. I would put them in the car but they are far too long!
    Thank you for the suggestions - I'll wrap, weigh and measure them and get a quote.
    Catmother....he is always expecting snow! Don't think he is currently predicting it though.

9. Ive no advice to offer but Ive had "parcel fun" myself today.
    I wanted to avoid going to the post office (wasnt going that direction, didnt want to pay parking charges, didnt want to queue, etc) so decided to go DIY. Found some cardboard in the form of disposable litter trays, and with some cutting and duct-taping managed to fashion a parcel from two of them. Then realised I had lots of stamps and no idea how much a stamp was worth or how much my parcel would cost to post. Queue lots of measuring, weighing and googling. Stuck my stamps on and off I went to Tesco as planned.
    B*stard thing wouldn't fit in the post box - it was about 1mm too wide - and I had to go to the post office anyway :(

10. I've used these a couple of times for quotes to send big parcels and not had a problem.

http://www.collectmyparcel.com/