1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What is the best tech in the classroom?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by TES_Rosaline, Apr 25, 2019.

1. TES_Rosaline

TES_Rosaline Administrator Staff Member

School staff are faced with a dazzling array of technology and endless promises of how this new equipment will make their working lives easier, sometimes with just a few clicks. Are you a ‘techvangelist’ who relishes the onset of new gadgets and gizmos to play with or do you rail against another change and long for the return of a simple life, free from technology? What do you think is the best technology in the classroom? One former teacher might surprise you with her take on technology and the answer to this question:

https://www.tes.com/news/confessions-former-teacher-tech-addict-edtech

Zoe Enser is an English teacher and director of improvement at Seahaven Academy in East Sussex.

What is the best and most helpful technology in the classroom for you?

2. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

I love a class set of mini white boards. I tried the voting pads when they were in vogue. More set up time for less flexibility.

I use an interactive whiteboard all of the time too. A few pre-prepared examples help the pace of the lesson.

BertieBassett2 likes this.
  3. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

4. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Full circle! Back to chalk (almost) and talk!

Thank god for Directors of Improvement, where would schools be without them?

Was this the plan all along I wonder? Get rid of the older teachers who knew stuff and could do things for themselves, then when anyone who knows anything is out of the way bring in the one-eyed improvement directors to the land of the blind.

Coming soon, a NEW! tool for behaviour management - Point and Shout.

5. CheeseMongler

CheeseMongler Lead commenter

Isn't that "flattening the grass"?

Mangleworzle likes this.
  6. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Lab-book, pen, pencil, thermometer, beaker, Bunsen burner, water. Bright yellow paint and brush.

7. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Blackboard and chalk.

8. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

As usual, it all depends on what you want to achieve.

9. Happygopolitely

Happygopolitely Established commenter

Is the writer of the article aware that there may well be an urgent email message from the head demanding to see the class registration grades put on the tech system?

10. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Really?
    The only "dazzling array" in my classroom is of pens which don't work.

monicabilongame likes this.
  11. CheeseMongler

CheeseMongler Lead commenter

Thinking about it, my favourite piece of tech is a laser pointer. Apart from obvious use with chalk and talk, it's the best way I've found to get students to pay attention to their work. Verbal instructions are easy to ignore but a red dot moving around a worksheet seems impossible to ignore.

neddyfonk likes this.
  12. BertieBassett2

BertieBassett2 Lead commenter

Definitely - on supply, if the work needs reinforcing (often the case) then white boards are great! There can be problems if there aren't enough pens but you can even get the class to share if that's the case.

13. BertieBassett2

BertieBassett2 Lead commenter

What are they @bombaysapphire ?!

14. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

15. theworm123

theworm123 Lead commenter

What’s a ‘director of improvement’ and why do schools suddenly need director positions in management?

16. Happygopolitely

Happygopolitely Established commenter

What is this strange walking stick? Or is it a Shepherd's tool? And how far back to old methods should we go?

17. colpee

colpee Star commenter

One can take the article with a bit of salt I think; it is not really about tech one way or another. Underneath it is a plain enough description of an inexperienced teacher who chases all sorts of fads trying stuff until finding something that works and is enjoyable, and that one will confidently use. One might do the same thing the other way round and end up at a techy solution. Experience, experience, experience.....

border_walker and bonxie like this.
  18. colpee

colpee Star commenter

Someone with limited success in the classroom but really whizzy with ice-breakers for inset CPD?

19. colpee

colpee Star commenter

20. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Oooh, bitchy!