1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What is the average salary in the UK and what is considered a livable income?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by jubileebabe, Oct 30, 2011.

1. jubileebabe

jubileebabe New commenter

I have been living overseas for a few years and am now thinking of moving back to the UK. It hasn't been so long but a lot has changed in the country and in my personal life since I last lived there so I have some questions:
    1) What is the average salary in the UK (in general, not just for teachers) and is the average different in London?
    2) What would be considered a livable income in London zone 3 or 4?
    3) What would be a livable income in Leeds or Newcastle?
    Thanks in advance!

2. Cervinia

Cervinia Occasional commenter

More info needed... How do you define liveable?

30k for a single person might be the better side of 'average'. But add kids, a mortgage, and a partner into the equation and figures change.

3. jubileebabe

Sorry, you're right.
    I'm married and expecting our first baby so we would have to live on just his salary for a while (he is not a teacher.)
    We would hope to have a mortgage.

4. According to an article on radio 4 a few weeks ago- the average income for a couple is about £35K a year. The family interviewed had 1 child and were struggling on this salary.Personally, I think childcare costs make a massive dent in your budget. Kids at Uni cost a packet as loans can be less than the rent and they need to eat.Depends if people took out a silly mortgages- We're on ore andseem to never have any money.

5. doomzebra

doomzebra Occasional commenter

6. jubileebabe

35K per year? Is that before or after tax?

7. Before tax. People here rarely talk about their net income.

8. jubileebabe

I was referring to the average salary in general, regardless of field but my husband is a software developer.
    The dilemma we are facing is that he is currently earning significantly more than the average salary for the city we currently in so it would be a difficult decision to make to leave that behind and take a below average salary on which we would struggle. However, I am not happy living here so maybe it would worth compromising on standard of living in order to live in the UK again.

9. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Only anecdotal, but friend's husband who's in computer programming gets a far higher salary in Europe than here in the UK.

10. jubileebabe

Where in Europe?
    We are currently in Italy.

11. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

It was Italy which offered the highest salary!

12. jubileebabe

Oh really? That's interesting!
    Salaries in general are very low here. My husband earns significantly more than the average but in the UK it would not be considered to be a particularly good salary.