1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What is teaching to you?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by teachingking123, Sep 26, 2015.

1. teachingking123

teachingking123 Established commenter

Teaching means many different things to many different people. What is teaching to you?

2. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

For me it is enthusing others about my subject. I want them to appreciate its uses and the beauty within it as well as being competent with it.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  3. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

A job...

4. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Hard to encapsulate in just one phrase, but for me it's something like, 'having the bit of paper for something which is a part of my character and which I do in 'ordinary' life'.

monicabilongame likes this.
  5. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

Absolutely what Lara said

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  6. lmnop

lmnop Occasional commenter

My only realistic option for paying off the mortgage.

7. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

A distant memory.

8. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

Something I was pushed into, disliked, came to like and then despaired of.

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  9. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Well, on that format,
    Something I did because of the holidays and it surely couldn't be THAT difficult, found difficult, grew to like and then washed my hands of.

10. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Thing is it isn't that difficult once you develop the skills. The thing making it difficult is the management class imposed from above and their incessant unrealistic demands.

Most experienced teachers can cope fine without observations, work scrutinies, schemes of work, differentiation etc... it's all the management tosh that makes the job difficult.

11. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

And don't even get me started on the Trojan Horse that is data,

cissy3 likes this.
  12. xena-warrior

xena-warrior Star commenter

Teaching is something I did for years and liked and was good at, and then it was ruined by all the ordure Lanokia refers to. Still my best-paying job to date though.

cissy3 likes this.
  13. hermitcrabbe

hermitcrabbe Established commenter

What is teaching to me? 20 years of my life wasted, I am beginning to think.

cissy3 likes this.
  14. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

The bit I liked was after I got used to it and before it was embroiled in data, observations, learning walks et al.

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  15. teachingking123

teachingking123 Established commenter

To me it is a profession to help your students become the best they can be.:)

16. Compassman

Compassman Star commenter

It is just a job like any other job. It pays money and puts food on the table.

To think of it as some sort of vocation leads to those in charge to use emotional blackmail to get you to do more and more for no extra.

17. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

Something I thoroughly enjoyed initially and something I'm now delighted to have left behind for something rewarding.

cissy3 likes this.
  18. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

The point being that with a vocation you tend to have control of the things you do and the way you go about them.

19. BobbyPhilips

BobbyPhilips Established commenter

That would be a profession rather than vocation.

20. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

When I started teaching in 1982 as a College Lecturer I loved the job. Then came Incorporation with attached business model for delivering education. Then came OfSTED and the tragic waste of resources and people that followed. Then came the bean counters and data vultures.
    Teaching is now an occupation frequented by those who have few other choices.

anotherauntsally and cissy3 like this.