1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What is standard procedure for international interviews?

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by studentparent, Jan 24, 2011.

1. Just curious as to what format interviews for teaching posts overseas tend to follow. I assume it's not possible for them to ask you to teach a lesson? So does it just tend to be a formal interview?

2. Just curious as to what format interviews for teaching posts overseas tend to follow. I assume it's not possible for them to ask you to teach a lesson? So does it just tend to be a formal interview?

3. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

It very much depends upon the school and to be frank about it, how wealthy the school is.
    My first overseas post was for the UAE Military. This involved a fairly straightforward interview at the UAE embassy in London asking some innocuous questions about teaching.
    My second overseas post was for a school in Norway. This was initially a telephone interview and then I was flown out to the college for the real interview. This was as follows:
    Day 1 Arrive there at midnightish.
    Day 2 Lesson with a HL class. 4 separate interviews with different SMT. Interview with students. Lesson number 2 with an exam revision class. Watch a debate.
    Day 3 Interview with Headmaster, fly home.
    My third overseas post was for my current job in Switzerland. Initial telephone interview, then over to Switzerland for the formal interview.
    Day 1 arrive in Switzerland. Teach lesson. Interview with Head of Boarding, Head of French, Head of Department, Long interview with Headmaster, chat with students over lunch and dinner.
    Day 2 Fly home.
    I am not sure if my experiences are par for the course, but they are how I would expect interviews to be in the bigger schools.

4. Aaaggghhh Karvol you are frightening me. Do you think that would be the same procedure for a comprehensive school in another country in that region? I will be interviewd by someone in the local Education authority.
    You're good Karv. I have such good taste in people.

5. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

Not sure about that. I have never taught in the State sector so I have no idea what their interview procedure is like.
    When is the interview?

6. Thursday morning at 10:30.
    Not feeling too hopeful because of the EU question but flattered that I got this far.
    Bonne nuit.