1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What is reasonable?

Discussion in 'Heads of department' started by miss freckle, Nov 9, 2015.

1. miss freckle

miss freckle New commenter

Potential confrontation looming with member of dept who has a rather laissez-faire attitude to marking and record-keeping and doesn't like the responsibility of exam classes (and therefore doesn't have any). I readily acknowledge that the learning and teaching should take priority and wouldn't mind so much if inspiring and engaging lessons were being prepared/delivered, but they aren't. They also need regular support in completing other tasks and do no really engage with taking the dept forward.
    One yeargroup has recently completed two linked assessments for which I expect a central record updated, a comment on a feedback sheet for pupils to reflect on and set targets as a result, and a few very brief comments on a different record sheet which serves as a record of assessments towards the award and evidence of tasks completed.
    The member of staff is not on minimum time, and in fact has a substantial number of non-contacts, compared to others in the dept.
    I'm not sure how to broach this as workload is such a hot potato. Any advice gratefully received.

2. CWadd

CWadd Star commenter

Workload is a hot potato - but if they are not fulfilling the basic requirements of the job then you can challenge them.

DYNAMO67 likes this.
  3. DYNAMO67

DYNAMO67 Lead commenter

I think it is perfectly fair to bring it up. Especially in light of the above, and in light of the fact that without exam groups, one may assume that the significant time others put into these groups can easily be replicated with KS3 groups.