1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What is Poor Behaviour and What is Good Behaviour?

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by plectrums23, Apr 4, 2013.

1. Hello fellow educationalists.
    In one word for each question, would you kindly please tell me how you would describe a. Good behaviour and B. Bad behaviour?
    Remember, just one word for each answer.
    I will be forever thankful if you took part!
    Thanks
    Ben

2. Good: appropriate

Bad: inappropriate

3. katnoodle

katnoodle New commenter

Good: respectful. Bad: ignorant.

4. Henriettawasp

Henriettawasp New commenter

As 'ignorant' means 'unknowing' or lacking education in something it is hardly a measure of behaviour (good or bad). Unless your definition comes from the urban dictionary. The opposite of 'respectful' would be 'disrespectful'.

5. I did ask for one word answers thank you

6. Cervinia

Cervinia Occasional commenter

Good - good. Bad - ungood.

7. Henriettawasp

Henriettawasp New commenter

Good - compliant. Bad - defiant.

8. Tom_Bennett

Tom_Bennett Occasional commenter

I'm a fan of brevity, but how could good and bad behaviour be successfully encapsulated in one word apiece? We should be keen to say things as simply as possible- but no simpler (a quote variously attributed to Einstein, Russell, Newton etc). The danger here is reductionism; over simplification. Besides, any word would have to endure endless clarifications and exceptions in order to make the sense clear, and then the whole exercise is redundant.
    GE Moore said that good could be defined as nothing other than itself. I suspect this is one that will run an run in ethics and pedagogy.
    Read more from Tom
    here
    on his blog, or
    follow
    him. His latest book,Teacher,
    is out now, published by Continuum/ Bloomsbury

9. Tom you are a genius, i laughed out loud reading your blog (and no i will not abbreviate it) i could read more but i am still in my dressing gown and its fast approaching 10.40 and the kids have watched far too much Horrid Henry. i wish i had as much talent to write about education in the way that you do, i have felt such an alien in my field of dusty tweed jacket FE teaching (many funny stories you could write about here, mind your language it is not!)
    fond regards,
    nunu nunu
    Melissa

10. Tom_Bennett

Tom_Bennett Occasional commenter

That is enormously kind of you. You are both wise and elegant :)
    Also: nunu?
    Best wishes
    Tom
    Read more from Tom
    here
    on his blog, or
    follow
    him. His latest book,Teacher,
    is out now, published by Continuum/ Bloomsbury