1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What is our dear Mayor of London on about now?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by needabreak, Nov 27, 2018.

1. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

Expecting theatres to go and do outreach in minority communities? Has he got nothing better to do?

Role models in all industries are important and schools I've worked in never had issues encouraging minority students into sports and the arts. *Sigh

I think he should be given tickets to the Motown musical, then he might want to spend more time proactively working on key priorities in London.

Sir_Henry likes this.
  2. Geoff Thomas

Geoff Thomas Star commenter

The answer to the question in the thread title is £146,804

lanokia likes this.
  3. needabreak

Well I wasn't thinking about the monetary value, more the perceived need and whether there are other things that can/could/should be done to support both the arts and aspirational young actors and theatre staff.

Then again he clearly goes on a great deal.

4. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Considering the impact of knife crime on minority communities... I don't mind so much if creative young people are given an opportunity that isn't presently available.

5. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

At least he isn't wasting money on illegal water cannons or unbuilt bridges...;)

6. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

The real problem as I see it is not only making all communities aware of other forms of learning but to enable them to join in such groups.For example. will Muslim groups join areas of say dance or mixed sexes, will black communities look outside communities to join in with Indians or Muslims. Or white groups mix with either of the groups.
    It is not that they cant or maybe not even want to, rather the community ethos which frowns upon those who seek to be different. For example, if a young Muslim seeks work in the arts the areas chosen are picked with care and in some case fear and trembling. We in the scouts seek to reach boys and girls in all communities, yet it soon happens that girls quickly vanish.according to the parents of the last Muslim girls we had 'because they might meet boys and they were developing puberty.'
    Yes, the children will watch ART but they do not always have the opportunity to take up such things as training and joining in.I used to work with what we loosely term lower class boys in East Ham. They could sing and dance when it suited them but would shun that which is not their social 'norm ' or expectation.
    The last word is the key item that stops many from joining in arts events, if not social norms then religious attitudes intervene, wrong perceptions, wrong expectations and above all the wealth in which to participate..always skint, money used for other things etc. Even older folk have problems with some seeing areas such an opera for the rich and upper class and not 'for the likes of them.'
    Having said all that I would wish the Mayor to sort out more important areas and events in the city before worrying about Arts.

needabreak and border_walker like this.
  7. needabreak

Are you suggesting that opportunities for mentoring in theatre and the arts will cut knife/gang crime?

8. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Culling them in favour of STEM oriented children. The fewer doing arts and humanities the greater the opportunities for jobs.

9. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

One of the common complaints is a lack of support programmes for young people... activities, youth centres etc.

So yeah maybe it will... because what we are doing isn't working. So why not try something...

InkyP, needabreak and chelsea2 like this.
  10. needabreak

Agreed, try something but surely you'd need to ask them what they were interested in and not just do it because minorities are underepresented in theatre as he suggested earlier today else you might not targeting the group you intended. Tbh I don't think he was targeting gang crime just under representation, gang crime is what he could be spending time on but there was no mention of it... Maybe because it could scare the art world and it's patriots off, or maybe he just hadn't thought it through.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2018
  11. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Oh for sure I don't think theatre outreach is the only solution.

Music, sports... those are two other possibilities...

12. needabreak

He'd have to make sure he wasn't falling foul of ethnic stereotyping.