1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What is my worth?!

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by katefisher1001, Apr 20, 2017.

?

Should I ask the head?

1. Yes

2. No

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. katefisher1001

katefisher1001 New commenter

Hi,

Just after some advice... I've worked exceptionally hard over the past 4 years to gain as much experience and qualifications as possible in teaching. I've completed my educational masters degree in Practitioner enquiry and utilised my research skills within our school. In addition I'm Literacy Coordinator to a two form entry Primary School. I don't currently receive any additional time out of teaching as Lit coordinator or a TLR.
    I feel I am worth more than just moving up my pay bands as i've worked exceptionally hard to get to where I am. I feel like I should ask for time out of the classroom to be able to implement more change and support to staff or at least receive a TLR. Do I sound like I deserve a TLR? I don't know how to broach the subject with the head as I more of a yes girl than an asking for things!

Thanks...

2. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

Of course you should ask the Head. Regardless of all the negatives that spring into my mind, there is one thing that is certain.

"You know the answer if you don't ask"

katefisher1001 likes this.
  3. JohnJCazorla

The above is an answer to your poll.

How do you broach it? Well if the HT is an approachable kind then you knock on the door and ask for a few minutes of their time and take it from their.

If the Head is more fierce then politely ask for a reference for a TLR post nearby (doesn't matter if you don't actually apply for this, it's good manners to ask first anyway). Hopefully this will force some action to try to retain you.

katefisher1001 likes this.
  4. Crowbob

Crowbob Senior commenter

You need a change of strategy. Working 'exceptionally hard to get where [you] are' is not enough to justify a TLR. Neither is having gained experience and qualifications.

You need to demonstrate why your role ought to attract a TLR and then argue for its inclusion in the pay structure.

MissSimps91, katefisher1001 and wanet like this.
  5. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

I'm not sure about this one. If you don't actually apply, the Head won't be asked for a reference, and would then think that you are not able to even make the short list for another job.

Ask by all means, but I doubt if schools have the cash to create extra TLRs at the moment. If they give one to you, they may well have to give them to others with similar levels of responsibility. If it doesn't work, I would take the above adbice, but actually apply. Moving schools is often the best route to promotion. Good luck.

6. JohnJCazorla

Good point I hadn't thought about that. Perhaps a more vague "I'm thinking I should move up to some TLR posts. Would you be happy to be my referee" might cover it?