1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What is medical?

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by tina.louise, Oct 24, 2011.

1. Hi all, a bit of advice please, a colleague of mine (TA) has to have several teeth out, obviously there is the risk of infection but she has been told by smt that she is not entitled to time off as it is not medical? Are they right? Thanks for any advice in advance.

2. snugglepot

snugglepot Occasional commenter

I don't know but I would think risk of infection, being to drowsy to work and therefore a Health and Safety risk would be enough.Quite unfeeling I would say.Could the dentist ring the GP and between them support her case.

3. http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/index/e_time_off_work.pdf
    This article states that TAs are not entitled to time off for routine dentist or doctors appointments. Whether having dental extractions counts as a routine appointment is debatable.
    Having said that at my school my Head wouldn't hesitate to let TAs have time off for something like major dental work.
    Is your friend in a Trade Union - if so contacting your local union rep might help clarify your colleagues entitlement.

4. Thank you both, I will look at the website and print off anything useful, (she doesn't have a computer).

5. Emergency dental care isn't routine care. We all don't go for our routine tooth extractions very often, I hope...

6. Would have thought that if the TA was not feeling well after the extraction then she would take time off anyway as she would not be feeling well enough to work. It would be nice though to have the support of the smt. They seem to be a little uncaring.