1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What is meant by number bonds to 10?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by cariad2, Jun 19, 2011.

1. cariad2

cariad2 New commenter

I thought number bonds to 10 meant knowing all pairs of numbers whose total was 10 or less than 10. But my year group colleagues think that number bonds to 10 refers to pairs of numbers whose total is exactly 10.
    So which is the correct definition?

2. cariad2

cariad2 New commenter

I thought number bonds to 10 meant knowing all pairs of numbers whose total was 10 or less than 10. But my year group colleagues think that number bonds to 10 refers to pairs of numbers whose total is exactly 10.
    So which is the correct definition?

3. cally1980

cally1980 Established commenter

Your colleagues!

4. I thought number bonds to 10 meant 2 numbers that add up to 10 exactly ie 1 + 9 = 10 2 + 8 = 10
    This will be very embarrassing if i am wrong!

5. add up exactly to ten

6. Number bonds are what your colleague is describing. Number bonds to 6 would be two numbers that make 6 etc.
    Addition Facts are the other one - Ie when it says "Know all addiction facts to 5" that means to know all the ways of making 1,2,3,4 and 5.

7. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

LOLOL Twice in a week would be too much wouldn't it!

Scary that some teachers are teaching such basic things with no understanding of what they mean though.

8. daisymoo

daisymoo New commenter

You are right. Your colleagues are talking about number bonds 'of' 10.

9. Minnie have I been wrong this week? I dont remember that!

10. cariad2

cariad2 New commenter

Oh dear, I was sure I was right when we were talking about it last week. Now I'll have to go in and say I was completely wrong. [​IMG]
    Thanks for making me feel really stupid.
    Anyway, as I teach in Reception (as do the colleagues I was discussing the term with), it's not particularly basic to me - it isn't jargon that I need to use on a day to day basis. I teach counting, number recognition and introduce the whole concept of addition.
    If I was having to plan from the Primary Framework, I'd have had a chance to familiarise myself with the correct terminology, but I haven't come across it in the EYFS.

11. Msz

Msz Established commenter

The framework says recall number bonds to 10 (pairs of numbers that total 10) and addition facts for all numbers ( pairs of numbers that total 1-10)

12. carriecat10

carriecat10 Occasional commenter Community helper

Number bonds FOR 10 - all pairs that total 10
    Number bonds TO 10 - all pairs that total each number up to 10
    To be fair, what matters is that the children know all bonds for all numbers to 10 AND THEY KNOW WHEN TO USE THESE BONDS!

13. wrong carriecat

14. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Venn Diagrams?

Please don't take me seriously. If I was better at techy stuff, I'd have added a cheeky smile.

15. Oh yes I was wasnt I - couldnt believe that one!

16. carriecat10

carriecat10 Occasional commenter Community helper

I don't think so ... I think you misinterpreted what I was saying.
    As I said it is important children know all their bonds up to and including 10, but the point is that they know when to use them. No good just learning facts without knowing when to use them.

Carrie [​IMG]

17. Pairs of numbers that total 10 and only total 10. It is an important skill to teach as it aids them in so many areas.

18. mystery10

mystery10 Occasional commenter

Well I'm glad that one was cleared up by referring back to the framework. In my experience different teachers use the term more loosely than others. As a parent this is mystifying. We were once told to learn number bonds to 10 ....... I had the same ambiguity in my mind about did it mean just the pairs of numbers which add to 10, or all the pairs of numbers which add up to a number less than or equal to ten.
    Of course I could have looked it up in the framework, but I still wasn't sure which way that particular teacher had intended the phrase to be interpreted as I had heard different teachers mean different things by it already.
    And yes knowing it and applying it are two different things.
    It's a similar thing when some teachers say "learn your times tables". What do they mean? Instant recall of the multiplication facts, in random order, with all the tables mixed up, up to 12 times? And able to work out the associated division facts? And to use all this in problem solving? Or just counting on, and no real instant recall or the multiplication and associated division facts.
    We receive a timestable in year 2 to learn each week. It is tested on Friday. In the test the children just have to fill in the missing answer for each multiplication, in random order for that particular table. No timelimit, no division facts, no mixing up with other tables. My child just goes through the sheet in the wrong order to put them back into numerical order if you see what I mean. So she can get 100% each week by effectively just being able to count on in 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. 7, 8 etc. But if I were to say to her out loud what is 5 x 9 for example, she would have to work it out each time.