1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What is meant by boarding duties?

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by hockeysticks, Jan 3, 2012.

1. hockeysticks

hockeysticks New commenter

can anybody give me an idea of what is required when a school says the would like someone interested in boarding duties. How many hours a week would be required, presumably also some weekends - would that just be one day or all weekend. Do you get paid extra or given time off during the week? Thanks for your help

2. hockeysticks

can anybody give me an idea of what is required when a school says the would like someone interested in boarding duties. How many hours a week would be required, presumably also some weekends - would that just be one day or all weekend. Do you get paid extra or given time off during the week? Thanks for your help

3. dts

dts Occasional commenter

How long is a piece of string? I don't mean to be trite, but it's an area where there's massive difference between schools.

I work in a boarding school - my extra duties are one evening per week and a handful of weekend days. Non-teaching boarding staff cover the majority.

The nearest boarding school to mine has a similar profile, but their academic staff work four or more evenings per week and every other weekend. I'd imagine they're rewarded quite well for doing so.

So it really does depend on the school - it's worth asking about at interview. I would say that if they're not able (or willing) to give a definitive answer, it should ring alarm bells with you. It may mean that the extra commitment will be as much as they can con you into agreeing to!

4. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

There is no standard rule and every school is different.
    Generally, a duty night will involve you going on duty from about 6.00pm. First study hall will need to be supervised and then join the students for dinner. After dinner second study hall is supervised until bed time. Duty will normally finish betwee 10.30 pm and 11.30 pm depending upon the ages of the children involved.
    You tend to do one or two of these a week with an additional weekend duty once or twice a term. The nature of the weekend duty will be particular to the school that is advertising.
    As a rule, the more established the school the greater the proportion of boarders, the lower the number of times you have to do duty a week. This is because the majority of staff will be involved in boarding duties.
    You sometimes get paid extra, more often than not the duty is in lieu of free or subsidised accommodation. I have never heard of time being given off during the week in lieu of boarding duties.

5. hockeysticks

Thanks very much that is very helpful, it is just a good idea to have some idea before applying and also gives me an idea of what to ask should I get an interview.