1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What is love?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by marmot.morveux, Mar 13, 2011.

1. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Qxn7DLcNwQ
    Can certainly be like that and like every other love song you ever heard. As you've asked the question I'm guessing you are not totally blown away by the person in your life. It's up to you to define your relationship for yourself.
    If sharing bits of your life with someone makes you really happy then you can call it love if you want to. Is the word really important? It's your choice to do it your way - it's your life.

2. bnm

bnm

Love is when it continues to get better as it goes on.
    Obsession tends to make one unhappy. Love makes one feel good about oneself.

3. marmot.morveux

marmot.morveux New commenter

It's more complicated than that....we're both quite shy and kind of holding our cards close to our chest. When I'm with him, it's like nothing else matters...when I'm not he seems indifferent towards me, but I think he's just shy. I always remember my mum saying about my dad, that she wondered at one point if things were going anywhere but it was because my dad was painfully shy.
    MM

4. marmot.morveux

I agree with this too, that it's different things to different people. But love is surely a stronger bond than just enjoying sharing your life with someone.
    MM

5. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

IMO Love is when someone makes you the best version of yourself and you do the same in return. The way that nothing seems a chore if you're doing it for them and how life is always that bit brighter with them around x

6. marmot.morveux

This is a lovely definition!

7. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Men eh! Who knows? To quote The Blessed Jarvis again
    <table cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td class="NormalText" align="left"></td></tr><tr><td>
    he can have his space and he can take his time
    and he can kiss ya where the sun don't shine
    but baby, don't let him waste your time

don't let him waste your time...

</td></tr></table>

8. doomzebra

doomzebra Occasional commenter

Love is to be found in the silences, not in the words

9. Are we talking about love here, or in-loveness?
    Love exists when another person's happiness means more to you than your own. It encompasses love of country, pets, football team, parents, siblings and children, as well as a sexual partner.
    In-loveness is just a dirty biochemical trick by Mother Nature/deity of your choosing to get you in a position to pass on your DNA.
    Ask yourself this question of every man/woman you think you love or you're in love with: if s/he needed both my kidneys tomorrow to stay alive, would I hand them over?

10. marmot.morveux

Wow...it might be a bit early to tell....lol!!!!

11. This was my first thought as well. And it's stuck in my head. Thanks!
    No words of advice or wisdom from me. I'm trying to figure it out for myself at the moment. When you figure out the answer please let me know!

12. doomzebra

doomzebra Occasional commenter

I love you whether or not you love me

I love you even if you think that I don't.
    Sometimes I find you doubt my love for you but I don't mind.
    Why should I mind? Why should I mind?
    What is love anyway?
    Does anybody love anybody anyway?
    What is love anyway?
    Does anybody love anybody anyway?
    Can anybody love anyone so much that they will never fear

Never worry
    never be sad?
    The answer is they cannot love this much
    nobody can.
    This is why I don't mind you doubting.

What is love anyway? . . .
    And maybe love is letting people be just what they want to be
    The door always must be left unlocked.
    To love when circumstance may lead someone away from you
    And not to spend the time just doubting.

13. I think I have posted this before, but I read somewhere that finding true love is like "coming home". I found it quite apt.

14. henriette

henriette New commenter

Soirry, I know it's a corny answer, but.... you just "know"; everything feels "right"; you cannot imagine your life without them; you are happy to be together doing nothing, or in separate parts of the house doing different things, but knowing they are there.

I said it was corny, but this is my experience ( 4 seriously broken hearts before "he" happened into my life!)

15. I couldn't work out how to express my answer to the OP's question - but you have it perfectly. It might not sell as many cards for Valentine's Day, but "I would give you both my kidneys" sums it up for me.

16. I like Alan Alda's idea of the 'three stages of love'.
    Lust.
    Infatuation.
    Commitment.
    In my view, the most important thing is to think of them as both cumulative and interchangeable if you're lucky enough to get to the commitment phase. A bit like tides. You might notice that the lust or infatuation or commitment has receded lately, but one of the others is always flexible enough to fill any gap.

17. marmot.morveux

This is very interesting - it's amazing how definitions can vary so much.

18. I am an old married woman - love to me is when you really think you can't take any more but then somehow you do - because life without your burping farting husband seems bleaker than with him.

19. Yes. Love is a very strong type of dependancy, isn't it?
    I think the downside of love is that it comes with a terrible cost, which is pain.
    Pain is the price we pay for love.