1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What is it with falls, damaged ankles and legs?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by grumbleweed, May 23, 2020.

1. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Lead commenter

In my very small world there seems an unusually high number of people falling and injuring feet and ankles.
    About 6 weeks ago my step grandaughter fell on her stairs badly sprain in her ankle. She was reluctant to go to hospital but had enforced lock in with her toddler.
    Two weeks later other step grandaughter did similar on the stairs, also bad bruising.
    Then my next door neighbour said he had to go out to walk his friends dog..as she had fallen at home and bruised her ankle.
    Yesterday he told me his daughter had sprained her ankle and his sister had broken her leg.

I can understand more people hurting their back doing the garden, and DIY injuries, but falls?

Has anyone else noticed this in their world?

2. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

No, but I do suspect my dog is actually trying to kill me. Every time I turn around she's lying silently under my feet. She also likes to dart in front of me when I'm coming down the stairs, carrying cups of hot tea. If anyone notices my prolonged absence from here, then she's probably fulfilled her goal.

racroesus and Jamvic like this.
  3. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

Owing to the many delays and difficulties with bedroom redecoration, furniture and junk is still strewn all around upstairs. Every time I need to go to the bathroom at night I crack my right ankle on the bookcase now on the landing and have a permanent bruise on my left arm from forgetting the door into the spare room doesn't open wide because there is now a book mountain behind it.

Jamvic likes this.
  4. catmother

catmother Star commenter

My cat does that!

Jamvic and coffeekid like this.
  5. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Funnily enough when I was doing the grocery shop this week I saw a woman trip up at the cash point and when she righted herself, was careful to put her weight tentatively on just one leg. As I passed her I said "are you ok there, can I help?" and she said "it's fine, I'm just checking my balance"

6. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

I thought that most accidents occur in the home, and not just the "dumb" ones you see on youface (or "You've been framed"). Statistically then, spending more time in the home may lead to more home accidents. Just don't take up juggling with the contents of the knife drawer!

Jamvic likes this.
  7. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I have a damaged right knee and am constantly conscious that I mustn't fall over and twist it. It should have been scanned weeks ago but of course it hasn't been.

8. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

I have been inexplicably walking into my coffee table more often recently.

9. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

I've put on quite a bit of weight and misjudge spaces. I keep whacking things with my hips.

10. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

So lonely

11. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

I thought that Maleficent was lovingly touching the back of my neck as she walked by. After seeing her latest box set of blood and mayhem I realise she is probing for the best spot to thrust the bodkin.

coffeekid likes this.
  12. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Maleficent's bodkin is an "accident" waiting to happen.

13. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

I am channeling Tchaikovsky and holding my head in case it falls off. The call from orthopaedics, this morning, about the MRI on my neck didn't help. "in severe cases, King Croesus, we recommend medication rather than surgery..."

14. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

It's that bloody avatar.

nizebaby likes this.
  15. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

Mrs J is current in hospital with a fractured ankle. She fell down some steps in the garden on a Thursday carrying my birthday cake.

She was taken to hospital with a head injury and fractured ankle and underwent an operation to repair it. Unfortunately due to CV restrictions no visitors are allowed.

Hopefully she is coming home this afternoon. For those of you wondering about the cake - it was unscathed and turned out to be delicious.

The steps in the garden are very uneven and we have been promising to get them rebuilt for a long while now. A builder is coming in 2 weeks to demolish and rebuild them.

16. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

Oh Jesmond, I'm sorry to hear that. I hope Mrs J gets home today, and that you've kept her a bit of cake.

My son broke his arm coming off his bike at the beginning of lockdown. He's the first person in our family ever to break a bone. Great time to do it.

Jesmond12 likes this.
  17. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

I think it's to do with us spending more time at home in slippers, flip-flops, etc. I now that my slippers have become looser as the memory foam base has compressed. I'm taking more care on the stairs. My sister had 3 falls on stairs a few years ago and it turned out she was wearing mule-style slippers and kept losing her footing when carrying laundry downstairs. We persuaded her to get better fitting slippers or go downstairs barefoot.