1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What is it always helpful to have?

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by anon1021, May 29, 2012.

1. Hi all,
    What do you think are key resources that are always handy to have available for teaching maths? I'm starting my NQT year next year and want to start preparing.
    Thanks
    P

2. Hi all,
    What do you think are key resources that are always handy to have available for teaching maths? I'm starting my NQT year next year and want to start preparing.
    Thanks
    P

3. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

at the start of year
    table squares to stick in the back of their books, mine are A5 sized printed on A4 so they fold out when needed, saves a lot of flipping back and forth.
    For some sets I also print a thermometer type number line from say -20 to +20, key point being that it is vertical, therefore much easier to relate to reading a thermometer which they can mostly do/understand the point of. up/down
    make sure that you know where to find the protractor, ruler, background grids on the school's model of IWB; double check as they may have a different model to the one that you are used to.
    Also make sure you have sets of board sized protractors and rulers etc, for when the technology breaks down or just because they are useful from time to time.
    Stick a metre stick exactly a metre off the floor, you will want to measure pupil heights and it saves faff when you are short of time.
    Make a list now of the display you want: number lines etc. You have loads of time now to get all that done/sourced etc. In the autumn expect to more or less cope until the open evening hits! From then on I always seemed to be fighting the tide!
    Have you got some simple tables tests etc, they come in handy...
    One permanent marker which you lend to no one
    A staple lifter, preferably an old fashioned brass one. If at all possible get the boards stripped for you by pupils on the last days of term, they like doing it and it will save you hours!
    Start taking digi pictures of anything good you see in classrooms, so you can do similar yourself!

4. When I used to have my own classroom: (1.) Mini-white boards + pens (2.) Multilink - it's amazing what you can do with multilink (3.) Tissues/babywipes (4.) A negative number line (5.) An entire wall covered in whiteboard, not just one small white board
    Now I am peripatetic: (1.) A scientific and a graphical calculator (2.) The little thing that attaches my MacBook to the projector. (3.) Laptop (the lightest one I could find!) (4.) A few coins - very handy for lots of things.
    I miss having my own classroom...

5. stewarty

stewarty New commenter

Axes from -10 to 10 on both axis, printed off and cut out. A massive time saver instead of getting the kids to draw them out.

6. Colleen_Young

Colleen_Young Occasional commenter

A good system for being organised whether electronic / paper or both so you can lay your hands on anything you need and remember everything!
    Padawan do you have Internet access in your classroom?

7. Thank you to all of your comments - I'm going to print them all out and use them to prepare things!
    I'm not yet sure whether I will have my own classroom or whether I will have internet access! I suppose these are the kinds of things I can find out when I visit the school prior to my start date.
    I was thinking about setting up a USB with lots of powerpoints on too but this would be a waste of time if I don't have an IWB!
    I like the coins idea - I was also considering dice.
    P

8. Gosh! I've never seen so many good maths resources in one place! Thank you for the website! [​IMG]

9. briceanus

briceanus New commenter

The little thing that attaches my MacBook to the projector. (3.) Laptop (the lightest one I could find!) (4.)

No, seriously.
    A MacBook, A projector, a link between them. You'll be telling me you have Activote, Smartboards, a VLE next !!!

I hear that Lords isn't a level playing field. Where does all this cash come from? If it can be spent on (as Cybola would say, gimmicks), how much money are you able to spend on real educational needs?
    Bic

10. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

fortunatley that was in the days when we just needed a whiteboard/blackboard or an ohp. Did get fed up when the head told me off for being late for lessons when i was usually splitting up fights in the quad.
    I wonder when we suddenly needed all the gadgets to teach maths, yet the top performing countries use none of it!

11. Photocopy protractors onto a sheet of acetate, (laminate) and either give one to everyone, carry them round or leave a stash in each of your teaching rooms. They don't last forever but it stops frustration when only half the class have their own.

12. MathsMum5

MathsMum5 New commenter

Some cheap pens and pencils that you can sell on to the students when they invariably turn up without any equipment.

If like me you don't have the use of an IWB, then some decent whiteboard pens with a few in different colours for highlighting etc. The cheap ones that my school buy just don't last.

I also have a couple of big foam dice which the students love throwing around the room for various games.

MM

13. Prepare some blank pages to project onto a normal whiteboard if you have that facility.
    Sheets I have include square grids mimicking 7 mm square books and 5 mm swuare books so the projected page has the same number of squares accross as the pupil's books. You can then get them to draw graphs diagrams and tables of the correct size by traing them to count squares.
    Other sheets I have in the same folder, 2mm graph paper, isometric dot paper, isometric grid paper, square dot paper, I find these invaluable and use them constantly.

14. A pretty good idea, but I find it frustrating that exercise books are invariably portrait and projectors/IWBs are invariably landscape. Therefore, in order to demonstrate these pages, they end up too small a scale for the students to see them properly.
    cyolba, wanting an IWB that he can rotate :)

15. Simply get the students to use their books sideways then!
    rusty, always the one with the helpful solution.