1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What is it about ankle biters that make them so popular?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Duke of York, Apr 25, 2019.

1. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

We have a Jack Russell. In his way, a loveable dog if you hate peace and quiet. As fast as a bagful of fast things with a ball and I don't doubt that if he was a working dog, he'd catch more rats than enough. But I'm not into catching rats. I've no idea what I'd do with them and the potential vets' bills frighten me.

As dogs go, he's as loyal as any other and if you need alerting to when the postman has the temerity to put mail through the door, he's your boy, but he's got a mind of his own that no amount of training or willpower can defeat.

My parents had a Jack Russell when I was a kid upon which I learned a useful trick. You see, when they've picked up something you wish they hadn't, there ain't a hope in hell of getting them to drop it, no matter how well you train them to fetch and drop balls.

Instinct takes over. When the cat snatches a bird and brings it doors, then goes off to find another, you can be sure the JRT is onto it like a shot and won't be giving it up for love nor money unless you can catch the little sod before he runs behind the settee with it. If you grab a JRT's paw, they are obliged by law to drop whatever they have in their mouths and they don't like it one bit.

I've found they give you two goes at this, before they work out what's going on and do everything in their power to prevent you grabbing a paw. They ain't silly. I don't for the life of me understand why people love them more than they would another intelligent dog such a boxer, who will be just as playful when the time is right, but knows when enough is enough. A dog you can take to the pub to be a crumpet magnet, but will settle down and won't be trying to trip everyone up, like Jack Russells do.

What's it all about? How come these bleedin' dogs are so popular with people who don't need to catch rats?

agathamorse and HelenREMfan like this.
  2. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

My JR Jake is the most loving dog I have ever owned. He will stand on my lap put a paw either side of my neck and hugs me! He loves a ball and yes he will hold onto it til he wishes you to throw it again with the chucker - he is just showing who is in charge when it comes to balls.
    However , my daughter has been playing ball in the back patio/garden and I reckon she has done too much in a confined area and he has done too much wrenching and twisting and he now has a serious thing going on with his mid-spine. X-rays at the vet haven't shown enough other than to rule out anything "nasty" in the abdomen. What is obvious is that the brave little sod was masking a great deal of pain. He has been so mournful as he hasn't been able to reach up/jump up etc and we havent really had to curtail his activity. After 3 visits to my vet they have referred us to the Liverpool Vet Hosp for probably scans. WE will be well past the limit of our pet insurance very quickly. Have paid £400+ so far at our vets. Am worried though as daughter is thinking tumour on his spine - my feeling is that it all came on too suddenly for that. I lean towards a protruding disc...... though overall I don't think this is going to be a simple job. Am cross that the hosp only gave an appointment 2+ weeks off when my vet thought it would come through in days. He has been on regular pain meds and anti inflammatories which have stabilised things. Am very worried re next Thurs......
    So... Jack Russells are such cracking little dogs who don't usually know they are small dogs! Mine tho doesnt have a nasty bone in his body. At still only 8 years old he is too young to have anything really bad going on. Keep fingers crossed for us.

Jake Lakes.jpg

3. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

Everything is crossed for a quick solution for your Jake @HelenREMfan.

Breeds do have traits but each dog has it's own character too. We have had three saluki x lurchers. They have all loved chasing things but prefer rabbits or crows to balls. Any game of ball will be brief and end on their terms. Each dog has their favoured type of ball. If you throw the wrong one they will just ignore it.

HelenREMfan and primarycat like this.
  4. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Lead commenter

There only popular with people who like JR's. Not my cup of tea.

jubilee, Dragonlady30 and mothorchid like this.
  5. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

I thought this was a thread about young children :D

6. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

I inherited my JR from my Dad. I used to walk her every day for him but she spent the rest of the time sitting on his lap. She has spent the last two years learning that this isn't the way we live and now gets a bit of lap time in the evening when we sit in front of the TV, even then she objects to me knitting or embroidering. She gets more walking, though, and it's good for my fitness walking four or five miles a day.

Husband wasn't keen on getting a dog but, in the circumstances, couldn't refuse. He is now the one that spoils her rotten and lets her get away with murder. Anyway, she's a handy sized dog who doesn't take up too much space in a smallish house and we wouldn't be without her.

7. Happygopolitely

Happygopolitely Established commenter

They are cute, feisty, fast and funny all in one.

8. Oldfashioned

Oldfashioned Senior commenter

Great running dogs and being small you can wash them off in the sink quickly and have cuddles on the sofa after.

9. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

Very similar to our last dog - collie whippet cross inherited from my father. My husband had never had a dog before, but grew to love him and become a dog-convert.

JRTs - never owned one, but they are smart looking little dogs who can't fail to raise a smile when seeing them in action.

Happygopolitely and InkyP like this.
  10. Flowersinspring

Flowersinspring Senior commenter

Our JR was my first true love with dogs. We grew up together. He was brilliant- could walk for miles and was great off lead with me in the town.
    Proper little chaps, JRs. Bags of attitude! I'd love another but can't afford any more dog walker fees- 2 are crippling!

Westies though- mad. Loved our boy to bits but he had serious issues. Never again!!

InkyP likes this.
  11. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Sorry, I don't like Jack Russells.