1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What is good progress? reception into year 1

Discussion in 'Primary' started by mollyonion, Jun 9, 2012.

1. Please help!! In September I was lucky enough (ha ha) to return from maternity leave into year 1 (previously I was in reception) to get 13 non readers and writers. They have made tremendous progress working their way through the scale points before eventually scoring 1c on the national curriculum levels. (apart from 2 who are now working on p scales).

I am very aware that they are still below age expected level but their progress has been fantastic. Unfortunately this view point is not shared by my head, who has lowered my age expected target to a 1b (rather than a 1a) so my progress looks better, she then told me I was putting pressure on the year 2 teacher to get them to the correct level.

I tracked the kids on the scale points (and also best matched to p scales as I could) although I know I shouldn't!! I am under intense pressure from head. Again I think I shot myself in the foot because the head made me give them nc levels at Christmas when they were definitely not ready.

I really don't want to be in this position next year could anyone please tell me how they track from reception and show good progress.

(ps prior to this year there has been no real tracking of progress in year 1 - we are under rap and scrutiny from LEA, the pressure is on)

2. Please help!! In September I was lucky enough (ha ha) to return from maternity leave into year 1 (previously I was in reception) to get 13 non readers and writers. They have made tremendous progress working their way through the scale points before eventually scoring 1c on the national curriculum levels. (apart from 2 who are now working on p scales).

I am very aware that they are still below age expected level but their progress has been fantastic. Unfortunately this view point is not shared by my head, who has lowered my age expected target to a 1b (rather than a 1a) so my progress looks better, she then told me I was putting pressure on the year 2 teacher to get them to the correct level.

I tracked the kids on the scale points (and also best matched to p scales as I could) although I know I shouldn't!! I am under intense pressure from head. Again I think I shot myself in the foot because the head made me give them nc levels at Christmas when they were definitely not ready.

I really don't want to be in this position next year could anyone please tell me how they track from reception and show good progress.

(ps prior to this year there has been no real tracking of progress in year 1 - we are under rap and scrutiny from LEA, the pressure is on)

3. Msz

Msz Established commenter

We continue using the profile in Y1 for any child who hasn't achieved points 1-8 and who hasn't got SEN and move onto NC levels when points 1-8 are achieved

4. Thanks,

At what stage do you put lack of progress down to sen rather than maturity. Do you put the sen on p scales then?

5. We tend to put the children onto P scales somewhere between January and Easter in Year 1 depending on the situation.