1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What IS going on in Primary Schools these days?

Discussion in 'Retirement' started by maud1901, Mar 30, 2016.

1. maud1901

maud1901 New commenter

Ok. So I'm beginning to wonder what IS going on in the nation's Primary Schools these days.

It is wonderful to see so many young people making the sacrifices and giving up spending time with their families, their friends, their pets to join the 'ancient masters' of the profession. (Can we still call it a profession - it seems teaching has recently been de-professionalised.) BUT what of these 'ancient masters' I ask myself.

As a young teaching 'pup' I hung on every word, every moment I spent with my 'ancient masters', learning the craft. I still remember the advice I was given , the bread and butter resources I made which every teacher still needs, how the masters handled behaviour (as if we can compare behaviour problems in the old days to those teachers experience now), etc.

What I see in schools as I visit is worrying - deeply worrying. I see fewer and fewer 'ancient masters' and more 'pups'. If schools employ mostly younger staff, from whom do they learn the craft, reinforcing the learning they have done in our colleges? Who will they go to for advice? Who will they watch teaching as good models?

Whilst the younger people come with enthusiasm, energy, new ideas, knowledge of technology, etc. we must not discard the more experienced masters. Why is this happening? Are the old masters not so popular, too dated, unable to learn new tricks?

katechb likes this.
  2. maud1901

maud1901 New commenter

Not sure if this is the right area to post this. So sorry if it is not.

3. lizziescat

lizziescat Star commenter

I remember as a pup disagreeing with so much of what the ancient masters saiid. Of course, with experience, I realised how wise they were. But the debate was healthy and I came back to their wisdom later. I don't really see much discussion (secondary) not just because of lack of time (we were always busy) but there just doesn't seem t o be the thinking or interest in ideas other than the mechanical .

Kartoshka, katechb and wanet like this.
  4. katechb

katechb New commenter

It's easy. The pups are eager to please, adore and are in awe of the Leader of the Pack, have boundless energy [so will 'play' until they drop] and enthusiasm, never say 'no' because everything is an adventure and they don't have any experience of previous difficulties that can make them wary of 'new' ideas, they're the youngest in the litter so they don't have any pups younger than them at home who they also have to look after whilst simultaneously perpetually jumping to the tune of their Leader.
    After a couple of years when they're older dogs,have learned a few tricks so aren't so easily led, they can be replaced by the latest puppy who will jump even higher than they did.
    I've now exhausted the dog metaphor so I'll resist the one about why on earth would SLT keep a dog and bark themselves!!!!

maud1901 likes this.