1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What is fair?

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by VodkaBubble, Jul 3, 2019.

1. VodkaBubble

VodkaBubble New commenter

Hello,

I am employed as a secondary school LSA Level 2. I am the sole literacy support for KS4. The current expectations of me are as follows:

Provide in-class support for Years 9-11 (six lessons happening at any one time).

Running KS4 Literacy Intervention, via small groups, during tutor time and throughout the school day. I have received a list of students to work with and their available times from SENCO and SLT. Otherwise, I have conducted and marked preliminary reading tests, had to find locations to carry out interventions, decide at which level to pitch the intervention. I have sourced and the school purchase access to an online literacy programme and have recently found another one for spelling. For the small groups, I have had to find resources and cobble things together, having been told 'just do whatever for now'. I cannot work like this. Each student has a different area of need and these are not being addressed by simply finding printable online, just before a session. No answers regarding resources are forthcoming, so I have started creating my own '38 week booklet' for use next year, with the aim of having a start point and end goal, but I am under constant scrutiny as to how I am using my time! I am also being asked to report back on progress, so will have to run further tests next week.

I also have students within the Literacy sessions, who want help with their English Literature, so I need to be able to flit between three different texts, should the all be studying different things. Again, I need to have some differentiated resources, which I need to source, as there are none forthcoming from teaching staff.

I am also asked to fill in for absent colleagues, lower down the school and I am pulled in to invigilate exams a lot, as I work with KS4, so this somehow 'frees' me up.

When I get spare time (!), I am to be creating differentiated resources for the English department!

I have been told by the SENCO that I need to run my ideas for resources next year by her, so that she can go and discuss long term plans with SLT. I'm not willing to share, as I know where the credit will go.

Never is a positive word said about what I do - the SENCO questioned whether I scored 'average' in my performance review. I am essentially allocating, planning, creating work, delivering (teaching), marking, recording, evaluating and testing. I have colleagues on the same money, who go into lessons, work and leave. It's beginning to really grate!

2. Catgirl1964

Catgirl1964 Occasional commenter

Excessively unreasonable workload for a TA. Find a new job where your expertise will be appreciated, not exploited.

sunshineneeded and Marshall like this.
  3. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Lead commenter

Seriously unreasonable workload for a TA being paid at level 2. Have a good look at your job description - I bet it doesn't cover planning your own interventions without teacher support, and it sounds as if you are now planning a complete scheme of work. If you are really happy at the school and with your role, it might be worth discussing this with your line manager (unless that is the unhelpful-sounding SENCO!) with a view to a re-grading. If not, then start looking for a new job. Best of luck!

4. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

Don't do it, for that level of stress you might as well teach. Look elsewhere. Good luck

5. VodkaBubble

VodkaBubble New commenter

Thanks for the replies. It has been acknowledged by SLT that it is 'unfair' for us (there is more than just me) to be having to carry out the extra workload, but there is no money in the pot to actually provide any further remuneration!

I aired my views earlier in the year, essentially saying that I could do classroom support across the three year groups or I would be willing to do intervention, having the extra time to sort resources, but not both. Essentially, all they did was rejig the existing situation and no resolution has been made.

Something will need to give and very soon. I am keeping an eye on the job market, but I do like the students I work with and the colleagues I have here.

6. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

then you walk. Otherwise there never will be enough money in any pot to pay anyone. The educators in the UK are horrendously abused, but only because we LET IT HAPPEN.

this is the barrel they hold you over....the assumption that normal human relationships will make it more likely than not, that women in particular, but all of us really, will feel emotionally blackmailed into putting up and shutting up.