1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What is expected of volunteer Assistant?

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by qtta, Jul 3, 2015.

1. Hi all. I am after a bit of advice please.

I have been volunteering in a reception class for the past few months, I only help for 2 hours per week to see whether I enjoy it before committing to a career change. I have really enjoyed it and will be starting a TA college course in September and working in the same class for 1 day per week. The teacher said I can get involved with anything Required to do the course.

The school often recruit TAs and I am keen to make a good impression for future employment opportunities.

What would teachers be looking for in a potential volunteer to future employee? At the moment I go in, work alongside the TA with small groups with reading and literacy work. I have also happily completed administrative tasks when asked.

I don't get the opportunity to speak much to the teacher/TA in that time as they are busy with other tasks so I have not received much feedback. There is another volunteer who seems to be given a lot more responsibility. I am wondering whether I need to be more proactive, but also aware that I don't want to step on anyone's toes!

So basically what I am keen to know is

1. What teachers look for in potential TAs?

2. What is expected of a volunteer?

3. What is a reasonable level of proactiveness? Examples?

I will discuss this with the teacher before I start in September but I am also keen to get ideas from other people.

Thanks