1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What is everyone having for dinner tonight?

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by egyptgirl, Oct 19, 2010.

1. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

Don't know what I fancy. Inspire me!

2. I have some flakes of the trout I cooked on Sunday still in the fridge. I think they will be turned into fishcakes.
    I also have some butternut squash left - but I think I'll turn that into spicy soup for tomorrow....maybe have the fishcakes with a warm bean salad.

3. Si N. Tiffick

Si N. Tiffick Occasional commenter

Leftovers here, too, I'm afraid. The last of the spicy butternut soup, followed by Sunday's leftover chicken, stir fried with rice, spring onions, mushrooms, egg, frozen peas and probably diced peppers as I have managed to acumulate loads of them (they were on special last week!).
    Tomorrow it'll be salmon, baked in a parcel with chilli and ginger, with spiced potato wedges and salad. I got some frozen salmon half price at Tescos and am hoping for the best- have been told frozen fish is good but am so used to getting it fresh here that I need some convincing.

4. egyptgirl

Fish seems to be on the menu!
    I have some frozen haddock in the freezer which I always keep as a standby. Maybe a fish pie...maybe baked haddock. Mmmm...
    I'll have a rummage in the cupboard and freezer and get back to you...

5. henriette

henriette New commenter

Salade Niçoise for us ---- more fish!

6. Coley with a tomato and mushroom breadcrumb topping - looks like most of us are having fish!

7. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

I had taken some Greek lamb stew out from the freezer but OH has just arrived home and suggested takeaway pizza. That leaves the lamb stew for tomorrow [​IMG]

8. egyptgirl

I thought it was traditional to have fish on a Friday!
    My mum-in-law came round about 3pm on her way to Morrisson's and I went with her. I ended up getting some pork loin chops (4 in a pack) for £1.09! I think it was a pricing error, so I snapped those up.
    I sweated off some onions in butter and o/oil, briefly fried the pork in the same pan and added a healthy amount of apple juice. I stirred in a couple of tsps of mustard and added some chunks of eating apple. I simmered till everything was cooked through and served with mash and cabbage. It was GORGEOUS.
    Even better, my fiance is now doing the washing up!

9. Eva_Smith

Eva_Smith Established commenter

I copped out tonight and had a jacket potato with salad and cheese.

10. anon468

anon468 New commenter

Spag bol here.
    With chilli pasta (don't ask).

11. In a rush to visit my mum in hospital so threw some minced lamb together and made minted lamb burgers..delish fast food mmm

12. Crikey, daffo - those are the kind of situations where I fall back on takeaway junk food. Hope things are ok with you Mum xxx

13. landaise

landaise Occasional commenter

Flammekeuches, the Alsace version of pizza, I suppose. Thin bread base topped with a mix of fromage blanc and creme fraiche in place of tomato sauce. Then scatter with onions and lardons ( mushrooms, too for me ! ) and bake for about 10 mins in a HOT oven, delicious!!

14. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

After 2 weeks of living off mezze, kibbeh, tabbouleh, olives and khobz, tonight I feel a proper roast dinner is needed!! Probably pork as I have just had a real bacon sarnie, delish!

15. henriette

henriette New commenter

Ours tonight is acasserole of pork with paprika, chickpeas, olives et al.

Our suppers are heavily influenced by what every one in teh family doe seach evening:

Mon - o/h works till 9.30 - has to be something teh kids can eat and then we have have a 2nd go at!
    Tues: we are all in - family supper rules!
    Weds: not only is o/h working again, but kids have after school activities which keep us out of the house till just before 7, then out again at 7.15! Has to be something preprepared that can be microwaved in portions!
    Thurs, Fri, Sat, Sun - as Tues, but o/h does the shopping on Tuesdays sio we have ususally run out by Saturday!!

16. CQ, thanks
    Had to rely on chippy chips tonight, fetched mum out of hospital and she just fancied them, so alas, so did I...

17. Roast partridge - not the usual mid week meal I know, but day off today, and the organic veg bag delivered the partridge too.
    Going to roast it with bacon lardons, with carrots and spinach on the side.
    Here's hoping it tastes good, 'cos it's the first time OH and I have tried it!

18. *puts her portion of beef casserole back in the freezer*
    *invites herself ropund to Steffi's for dinner!*

19. You'd be welcome Bethannie!

Partridge nice but not sure what it tasted like! Bit tougher than chicken and not as dark as pheasant. Enough left to take small portion of leftovers for lunch tomorrow too :)

20. Chicken curry tonight.