1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What is difference between fee and non fee paying grammar schools?

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by geek84, Feb 8, 2011.

1. geek84

geek84 New commenter

Hi Folks
    <u>Please forgive me if this is on the wrong forum
    </u>
    Can someone please tell me the difference between fee paying and non fee paying grammar schools in terms of the standard of education offered and entrance requirements. I assume that non fee paying schools would be more in demand and have stricter acceptance rules. In either case, would a child need to pass the 11 plus exam to be considered?

Finally, how do I find out which are the fee paying and the non fee paying grammar schools in my region? Would it be just a case of ringing up the school to find out?

Thanks in advance for any responses

2. geek84

geek84 New commenter

Hi Folks
    <u>Please forgive me if this is on the wrong forum
    </u>
    Can someone please tell me the difference between fee paying and non fee paying grammar schools in terms of the standard of education offered and entrance requirements. I assume that non fee paying schools would be more in demand and have stricter acceptance rules. In either case, would a child need to pass the 11 plus exam to be considered?

Finally, how do I find out which are the fee paying and the non fee paying grammar schools in my region? Would it be just a case of ringing up the school to find out?

Thanks in advance for any responses

3. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

At the moment, as I understand it, a number of areas have selective schools as part of the state provision. Entry is via 11+, these schools are subject to the rules and regulations that surround all state secondary schools. In general these schools benefit from having intelligent, motivated students, but in some areas children may need additional coaching to support them in preparing for the exam.
    Many independent schools (e.g. Eton) are selective, some are not. The ones with most prestige do not seem to need to advertise themselves as grammar schools.
    The independent schools that call themselves grammar probably need individual research.
    P

4. PaulDG

PaulDG Occasional commenter

The standard of education on offer is likely to be similar in both as both will teach a similar range of subjects to the National Curriculum.
    The fee paying schools, if they're not state schools, are likely to offer more extra-curricular activities - more sports, more "enrichment" activities and so on.
    If they are state schools, then the fee element will be related to a boarding option. There will be no fees for day pupils.
    If they're not state schools, then the title "grammar" is likely to be historic. Before World War II, many independent senior schools were termed grammar schools and many retained the title and their independence when the government developed a state grammar system post-war.
    In terms of entrance requirements, as others have said, state grammar schools require the local 11+ to be passed (the actual details of the 11+ vary from local authority to local authority), independent schools also test but, in reality, unless they're full, will accept children with quite low attainment under special arrangements (the child may have to join a lower age group form, for example).
    Look on your LEA website, they will have a list of their secondard schools of all types.

5. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Senior commenter

Just to confuse you, in some areas when schools changed to comprehensives they kept their grammar school name. I know several in our area. And I know lots of children who think their children have got into a selective school!

6. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Senior commenter

And I know lots of PARENTS who think their children have got into a selective school! Sorry!