1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What is creativity?

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by alexmcneice, Mar 13, 2007.

1. just preparing for my interview and i've just come up against a brick wall with that question. Any ideas on what they are getting at will be welcome. a debate will be welcomed too!

2. just preparing for my interview and i've just come up against a brick wall with that question. Any ideas on what they are getting at will be welcome. a debate will be welcomed too!

3. msy

msy

I may be wrong (I know of some who would tell me if I were) but I believe it refers to how you would extend or approach a lesson. For example teaching air resistance - creativity could be as simple as having the children in the playground and giving tham each a piece of paper - then telling them to move about while holdinh the paper without their hands. The idea is that they put it on their chest and run. (KS2)- Or taking a piece of literacy into role play to give a deeper understanding. There must be lots of examples but I've had a busy day at schoola and I'm a bit blank at the moment.

M

4. i see, so they arent asking for an in depth analysis, but rather how you would use creativity in a lesson. i see. well my subject is performing arts and it's pretty much all about being creative, what with writing scripts or improvising on the spot. set design and costume design need creativity to work! ooo... i see now...thanks!

5. msy

msy

I can't see how 'an indepth analysis' would be of any use in an interview, especially if it's for a drama post. That said, I hadn't thought of it that way so perhaps a bit of analysis to full back on would be useful. I suppose being a humble primary PGCE er and TA I see creativity in action and in recorded work rather than as a seperate subject.

You've got me thinking now.

M :))

6. i can see why a maths teacher would be asked how to liven up a lesson, but to me, creativity is the essence of drama. i suppose i could say something along the lines of, i could liven up a script analysis by choosing some extracts to experiment with.

7. Had a lecture on creativity recently, he said it was everything we do that has a purpose and is new to us, so a conversation is creative in the way you are thinking on the spot, saying things that will never be repeated exactly in the same way again.

With maths you could also be creative in the way you direct the lesson, so changing the layout of classroom, using displays, tactile stuff, hands on experience, mixing up groups etc. Also in the way you deliver the lesson so being creative with the way you explain the subject linking it to cross curicular subjects, literacy etc.

Just about everything really, you can say that creativity therefore is really complex!

8. Creativity, in the context of teaching, is the skill of being able to design an imaginative, and successful, learning experience for your pupils.

The nearest analogy I can think of is in cooking. If you are the kind of person who can follow a recipe written by someone else, you may be a competent cook, but you are not really creative. If, faced with a pile of ingredients, you can use your imagination to produce something good, then you are creative.

The chefs on 'Ready, Steady, Cook' or on 'Masterchef' are 'creative' in their field.

9. Hey alex, I know what you mean about drama being a creative subject anyway. But maybe some drama teachers would teach a play/technique in a typical and unchallenging way, so whilst it is a creative subject, maybe their method wouldn't be that creative or inspiring! So it's just about teaching children in unique and engaging ways!

Ps. Bobdog- I am such a master chef fan hehe! It's the final this week, very excited!

Yvonne xxx

10. I think this is one of the most interesting Q's posed on here for a while.

The very best teachers are highly creative (like the very best chefs) but do all teachers need to be that creative?

Is it sufficient to be able to follow somebody else's recipe if it gets the job done?

But how simple is the recipe? How basic the meal?

Is it sufficient to be able to grill burgers (like a 'McDonalds' "chef") or should we at least expect somebody to be able to follow a more complex recipe from a sophisticated cookbook?

Is the national curriculum in fact our cookbook?

11. I have not started my PGCE yet and am currently doing an English Literature degree, so I'm not very farmiliar with the N/C. But I have always thought it was just a guideline, kind of like a cook book as you say Bobdog (nice metaphor!) that we each have to interpret in our own way and make as creative and exciting as possible.

I think all teachers need to constantly be creative with lessons, because even if a tried and tested method/lesson works very well, it won't always with every child and situation. We need to constantly evaluate our methods and make them more exciting/engaging/accessible

von xxx

12. Yes I think the National Curriculum is in some ways our cookbook, but I think it is more of the educational system's version of Ready, Steady, Cook in which we are given the ingredients (the seperate strands and subjects of the NC) and required to create a recipe (lesson plans) to deliver and produce something exciting out of those original ingredients. I think the best teachers would be the ones who took the most original ingredients, and mixed ones that wouldn't necessarily go together (chalk and cheese) and create a delicious and exciting meal (lesson).
    That's only my view! Others feel free to contribute!

13. All this talk of cooking and food ain't half making me peckish! No joke....Now where are those hula hoops I bought earlier...mmm

14. Good point! Plus, I'm writing my dissertation at the mo which is all about protein intake and growth and development of children...man I want some meat!! Think I'll pop to the shop and buy a blt sandwich or something.

15. Ha! Or just a nice big steak!

Good luck with your dissertation!

16. Oh dear! Where does that leave me with my penchant for leftovers!!
    I do love cooking though and never really follow a recipe - just to see what 'goes together' when trying some new ingredient.
    A question which may apply to this thread, but certainly for me on another forum - Bobdog - if you are writing an essay and want to use a quote from a poster on a forum, what is the protocol? Someone used a great analogy and I may want to use it in future.
    Cx

17. Oh wow if only I could afford steak! Final year...deep in the overdraft...things are a bit tight money wise! Mmm I've got tesco value 72p mince at home...spag bol for dinner!

18. Well, for my lunch I had the last of the (stale) loaf toasted, baked beans (Tesco Value) plus curry powder and a chopped up fresh green chilli followed by a banana.
    For tea (as Hubby is out for the day with his mate and will 'sort himself out') I am having last night's casserole thingy (made up again), last night's leftover cabbage (chopped up in said casserole thingy) and the left-over baked potato. Yum!!
    Cx

19. Oh, and some wine - hehe!
    Cx