1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What is behaviour like in your school/class?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by perky_panda, May 14, 2012.

1. Hi, after yet another horrible day by lunch I got talking to other staff, recently a LSA left and she was saying her new school doesn't have any problems like the ones we deal with daily. Was just wondering what other schools around the country were like - what was tolerated or not etc. I know it differs per school, SLT, intake etc but it is really starting to get me down now.

2. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

I think this is the key. In schools where tolerance of misbehaviour exists, misbehaviour exists. In places where tolerance is limited, by-and-large so is misbehaviour.
    It's definitely a case of needing systems, sanctions and support!

3. On the whole, behaviour is excellent in my school. Sometimes I think it's bad but that's when children talk a lot in the corridors! We are all very hot on behaviour and everyone, from senior management to class teachers and TAs will remind children of the rules if they are misbehaving. Staff are also not afraid to challenge parents and we have a very good system of 'getting in first' with parents where we will call them during the day if their child has behaved badly. This works well because the child doesn't have the chance to go home and give their side of the story I've worked in other schools where no parents were contacted and they would come in the next day after their child had been told off, ranting at staff and really having go. It's much easier to get in first and give your side of the story when you're calm and have all the facts in front of you, rather than being caught on the op, in front of the class and other parents. I'll admit I work in a nice area with supportive parents but other local schools with similar catchments have some big problems with behaviour.

4. gergil4

gergil4 New commenter

Generally fantastic. but it's taken me 20 years to get to a school like this. I've taught in a few choice schools before now - all (bar one) of which I've enjoyed for different reasons, even when the children were ............. challenging!