1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What is an AP experienced teacher?

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by tomyum, Apr 27, 2011.

1. tomyum

tomyum New commenter

Advanced Placement - in the US education system, I think. Don't know any more than that, sorry.

2. Advanced Placement is taken by students who are looking to improve their chances of getting a University place and/or to secure course credits before entering their chosen university. It carries the same weight as IBDP and A Levels.

3. ian60

ian60 New commenter

I'm not sure that's true for US Universities

4. I am currently teaching AP Calculus and Physics. AP is growing in popularity in a few Asian countries (especially China) who wish to offer their citizens an English curriculum as it is quite easy (and free) to become authorised to offer AP courses. You just have to create a syllabus that meets the course requirements and that"s it. There are sample syllabi on the College Board website but many of them are a joke. A student's AP score (from 1 to 5) is based entirely on one exam containing 50% multiple choice and 50% free response.

5. It does vary but credit is available for excellent results at A Level and for IBDP at Higher Level. You're right though, 'same' was misleading.

6. Indeed.....many US university admissions offices appear to prefer a student to apply to them with a battery of (one year) APs, simply because they know what they are, and display little or no comprehension of (two year) IB/A levels and the fact that a typical student equipped with decent scores at IB/A level would be an advanced student compared to one with decent AP scores......
    Our A level students who go to the states are usually granted significantly more college credit after they have been there for a semester.....it seems difficult to receive that recognition ahead of time from Europe....