1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

what is always...?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by harsh-but-fair, Dec 24, 2010.

1. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Lead commenter

Bricks aren't made out of stone.
    Cricket bats are always made of wood.

2. You can get plastic keys....
    Bricks are mostly made from clay, but can be made from other materials...

3. Unless of course you are playing kwik cricket and playing with a plastic bat [​IMG]

4. Yes I was thinking that some keys can be made of plastic too. Why does it have to be an object that is always something?

5. Am wondering what sort of LO you would have for this!

6. harsh-but-fair

Fair point!

7. harsh-but-fair

Wire used to carry electric current has to be made out of metal.

8. Correct me if I'm wrong, but surely gloves are made out of different 'fabrics' rather than 'material'.

9. harsh-but-fair

... and what about rubber gloves?

10. It is for Yr1. I just wanted to be able to show them some items and ask what it is made from. I thought it would be easier if it is always made out of that material as it is less confusing, although if I am showing them the object it might not matter.
    And yes, sorry, I meant to say fabric not material.

11. Why don't you want your class to learn/understand that objects can be made from different materials?

12. What I meant was 'Why does it have to be an object that is always made of the same material? '
    [​IMG]

13. markuss

markuss Occasional commenter

There were some metal cricket bats not that long ago. But they got banned.

14. With year 1 i's important that they learn the difference between an object and the material it's made of - therefore showing them objects made of different materials is really important. It may be made of wood,plastic or metal - but it's still a spoon - so why would a manufacturer choose the different materials? Many will be able to talk about properties and uses but the object/material misconception is really important to address.