1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What is allowed & not allowed?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by install, Aug 31, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. catbefriender

catbefriender Lead commenter

What I was saying is that everyone most probably has two usernames, one with their real name and one with their Community forum name which are most probably linked to their email address.

These multiple posters that some allege exist, I am being objective here, ;)could easily create various usernames under one email address, or create usernames under various email addresses. They could go a step further and have two internet connections, one that uses a phone line and one that uses a dish, and have two entirely different IP addresses.

Perhaps the only way they can win an argument and convince people that what they are stating is something that is of supreme consequence is if they themselves log on as different personas, on different devices and agree with themselves, and like their own comments etc. Perhaps if they have excellent technical skills, they may have worked out a way to do it with just one device.o_O

'Wow that comment got 7 likes, he must be saying something really important, I think I better just agree with him,' is the thought process the alleged multiple entity assumes. :rolleyes:

That is if they truly exist.

2. red_observer

red_observer Star commenter

No! Your inference might make sense given some of my posts so fair enough! Contrary to opinion I am flexible on my likes and dislikes of Labour politicians!

install likes this.
  3. install

install Star commenter

It may be that a few rare posters are using several user names on community forums at the same time . The opinion, the style of writing, the approach and reactions can be easily linked. But the most damage is the upset it may cause if it then results in trolling.

Oscillatingass likes this.
  4. install

install Star commenter

That is a very good point.

5. catbefriender

Well because there is no definitive proof they exist and those who I assume are alleged to be multiple personas claim this is definitely not the case, we are left with believing whatever we wish to believe.

It must be extremely distressing to someone, who has carefully taken the time out to create multiple usernames and avatars on this website to be constantly accused of doing so, when their sole purpose was never, ever to have been discovered.

Common folks, show some humanity.:p:D

monicabilongame likes this.
  6. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

I only have one username.

7. red_observer

Me too. You can’t apply for a job using your TES name. It’s palpable nonsense

Oscillatingass, nomad and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  8. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

AKA 'er indoors!

install and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  9. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

Does it really matter? I don't care how many user names people have as long as posters are polite, courteous and not rude.:)
    There are far more important things to worry about at the moment.

install, foxtail3, Jamvic and 3 others like this.
  10. Kandahar

Kandahar Star commenter

It is a very Left - leaning bent by all accounts.

11. modelmaker

modelmaker Star commenter

I can't imagine there are many who are unaware of this and considerably fewer who care less. To be honest, most will be outraged if anyone attempted to deny you access to contributing to the site as we all were when we lost Tidal and Nutella from an absolute arrse's actions in the Great Purge. The entire point that everyone seems to miss is that none of the posters being referred to who have had multiple usernames, ever posted concurrently under a multiple of them, which the forum rule was introduced to prevent.

If TES is a community, it has to think in those terms. A bit like a public house, which accepts whoever walks through the door and unless they repeatedly cause trouble at the bar and the landlord has to ban them for starting fights, they are as welcome as any other customer.

Of course in a pub, you'll have one or two who imagine they are better than the others and get their pomposity pricked. That's life. Something those who get their bubbles pricked would benefit from thinking about, because none of us come on here or go to a pub are going to put up with being told what to do by some jumped up middle manager in our own time.

I don't personally put up with it in my day job either, but that's another story. My view is that everyone on here is equal whatever position the held and their views are as valid as anyone else's.

On a separate but relevant matter, the bane of every estate manager's life is the residents' association. Ostensibly residents' associations are considered things to be encouraged, because when they work well, they have the capacity to improve estate life. Unfortunately, they always attract the wrong sort of people onto the committees. I can't tell you how many times I've needed to intervene to prevent my residents being bullied by the residents' association.

If there was a posters' association on here, I know exactly who would want to be on it. The petty minded who love rules, but actually contribute very little of substance. It's almost as though it makes their brains hurt to compile more than a sentence, or use logic rather than dogma. Heaven forbid anyone takes notice of their vanity if their attempts to get posters who call them out as idiots with over-inflated egos banned, became a reality.

But there you go. It takes allsorts to make a bag of licorice and it's a waste of time responding directly to the incessant moaning of these waste of skins. To do so would make them pretend they were victims.

Doitforfree likes this.
  12. nomad

nomad Star commenter

o_Oo_Oo_O

13. catbefriender

Alas, the irony is wasted on social media.:(

install likes this.
  14. catbefriender

Okay, log out entirely of your TES account and then when you get to log back in, it will ask for your username.

The username you are currently using is red_observer. If you were to apply for a job, you would have log in under your REAL name. This is what I am getting at. Most people needing two usernames.

Perhaps you and others have never applied for a job on the TES jobs website. Anyone who has knows they have to have two usernames. One for the Community forum and one for applying for jobs.

You can log in with Google
    Facebook
    Your username or
    Email address

Last edited: Aug 31, 2020
  15. Spiritwalkerness

Spiritwalkerness Star commenter

I've been trying to change my email for at least 5 years. It won't and the only option is to get the TES gerbils to do it and I have a feeling I'd have to add a 2 to my name and I don't want 2:p

oldsomeman likes this.
  16. install

install Star commenter

Agree. And no one can take social forums too seriously. But if a troll deliberately goes about trying to derail public social forums and cause upset by using several user names I think the best move then is to revert back to the ‘ignore’ function if one suspects.

As rare as they are, I can see how it might be difficult to show sympathy towards those trying to cause repeated upset for entertainment value ( if that is their aim).

17. red_observer

You don’t need the TES to apply for a job. Come off it

18. install

install Star commenter

I believe that to be correct also. But here we are referencing several user names by one person on the community threads.

nomad likes this.
  19. install

install Star commenter

I think there is a process to be fair whereby one has to apply for some TES jobs online via the TES portal. It then directs you to the application form. This requires a user name.

20. catbefriender

Agreed. And that username as per Nomad's recommendation shouldn't be the one we are all using on the Community forum as HTs will not respond to them.

I am amazed that some people aren't aware that for many job applications these days, one has to apply directly through the TES portal. The days of posting applications or simply emailing them are in the past, although some schools still accept them this way.

However, many schools handle all the applications online through the TES portal linked to their schools and for this, one has to use their real name, therefore many Tessers have two usernames.

install likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.