1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What is allowed & not allowed?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by install, Aug 31, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

I'm sure that poster meant it. There are trolls on here but you're not allowed to identify them without sanction.

install likes this.
  2. Oscillatingass

Oscillatingass Star commenter

I dont use the ignore function but I take a delight in just nor replying to some posters, particularly the tiniest minority who have proven to be particularly toxic.

Kandahar, nomad, install and 3 others like this.
  3. Oscillatingass

Does use of the report function help weed them out?

Kandahar, install and alex_teccy like this.
  4. Oscillatingass

:D:D:D

Kandahar, install and alex_teccy like this.
  5. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

Not in my experience. Any reports identifying trolls and people using multiple names get ignored.

6. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

I think many use the ignore feature to avoid contentless snarky remarks and/or posters who follow them about from thread to thread to be unpleasant and contrary for the sake of it.

7. Oscillatingass

Fair enough. As far as I am aware, multiple user names are permitted on TES these days. If anyone knows differently no doubt they will share. Trolls are not allowed but I guess it all hinges on ones definition of troll.

ilovesooty likes this.
  8. red_observer

red_observer Star commenter

What sort of person has multiple user names on the same forum? Incredibly strange behaviour.

9. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

Er .... trolls!

10. stopwatch

stopwatch Lead commenter

You forgot to mention losers, weirdos and eejits

11. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

ah, that's not really allowed either. the trolls on here have free reign, even though i know some of them have been reported more than once.
    have smiled wryly at some of this thread's posts - either complete lack of self knowledge or superb trolling attempts.
    there's a lot to ignore.

12. catbefriender

catbefriender Lead commenter

I hope everyone on here has at least 2 usernames, one for applying for jobs and one for the community forum. I certainly aint applying for work using, Catbefriender.

Has anyone applied for a job using their community identity and if so, did they get the job?o_O

13. modelmaker

modelmaker Star commenter

Remember this is Personal, a forum where traditionally it was possible to discuss personally sensitive matters. It's often been the case that regular posters had adopted a new username on such occasions. It would benefit some posters to read the forum rules more carefully.

The wording refers to disruptive posters using multiple usernames, i.e. socks. During the discussions leading up to the Brexit referendum, it was common to have a trio of usernames flooding every discussion with garbage which I suspected emmanated from Russia and each supporting what the other wrote. Regrettably, it was impossible to have any sensible debate about the EU.

Those usernames were identified as socks and eventually banned, only to be immediately followed up by another three stooges, then another. Unfortunately, the wording of that rule is ambiguously written and causes misinterpretation of its intent.

I have no problem with the many posters who have appeared on here under various usernames, if there are reasonable reasons for doing so. Nor does it bother me unduly if people express views I disagree with, so long as they are legal and not intended to be offensive, although these days when offence can be taken at virtually anything, it gets more complicated.

Sadly there is and has always been a small number of posters who imagine that this is their forum and appoint themselves to be the neighbourhood watch coordinators. There are also a small number of disgraceful posters who take delight in seeing posters banned. Losing much-loved posters such as Tidal and Nutella this way was unforgivable.

Finally, you should all check your profile to check that the email address that TES has is current. If it isn't, you may find you get locked out if TES sends you an email and it gets returned with "email address not found."

Aquamarina1234 likes this.
  14. red_observer

???

15. red_observer

Well exactly!

16. red_observer

Thanks but I will stay true to myself

nomad and Oscillatingass like this.
  17. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

Er .. the Roy Jenkins of TES!?

red_observer likes this.
  18. catbefriender

catbefriender Lead commenter

You need a TES username to apply for jobs on the TES website. So most Tessers should have at least two usernames.

19. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

He is a candle blowing in the wind.

20. stopwatch

stopwatch Lead commenter

Is that something fairly recent (ie in the last year or so)? This would mean that anywhere you were applying to, could trawl all of your comments to see what you have written.

install likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.