1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What is allowed & not allowed?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by install, Aug 31, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. install

install Star commenter

Thank you - that made me giggle.

2. install

install Star commenter

Agree. So it’s wisest to withhold the ‘you are a liar’ and change it to ‘I don’t trust the source of the info’?

3. Oscillatingass

Oscillatingass Star commenter

:D

install likes this.
  4. install

install Star commenter

Yep - agree, it’s when the derogatory ‘personal’ note creeps in on any social platforms that problems happen.

5. lunarita

lunarita Lead commenter

install has been on the receiving end recently from one of the multiple personality posters. The 'favourite clip from favourite movie' thread was almost certainly intended as a dig.

install and monicabilongame like this.
  6. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Would I do such a thing?

install likes this.
  7. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

My pleasure.

install likes this.
  8. Oscillatingass

Oscillatingass Star commenter

I just think on the TES, one user name only should be permitted. People who have multiple user names should simply have their various user name remain on pre moderation until they get fed up and comply with the single user name rule. I think that would prevent a lot of the trolling that goes on.

9. install

install Star commenter

Thank you. I think, if true, that may be the problem with one user having several user names on one platform. I have taken the thread at face value and it is okay. Indeed having a ‘dig’ or a joke I guess goes into that grey area again. One cannot take social platforms too seriously - unless they are deliberately malicious.

And you do touch on something that maybe is another problem with social platforms. It seems to be when users attempt to carry or continue negativity from one thread to another.

Indeed I have seen it on many social public forums where a previous argument seems to continue almost to the exclusion of the thread title and other posters. For me that isn’t acceptable either.

Oscillatingass and nomad like this.
  10. red_observer

red_observer Star commenter

And you didn’t write that either ...;):D:D

install likes this.
  11. install

install Star commenter

Completely agree. I think it leads to lots of upset on all types of social media too.

I even think a poster’s right to post ( on a public social platform) should be withdrawn if they have not used their account for 6 months. But some might think that mean.

Oscillatingass likes this.
  12. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Not as mean as linking every username to a DfE number, and I would endorse that too sometimes!

install and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  13. install

install Star commenter

That might drive lots of posters away from social media if they feel they had genuinely discussed their personal problems and work problems with the understanding it was anonymous. It might even impinge on their rights.

To be fair, I think lots of good advice and support has come out of social platforms too from yourself and others. Many referencing for example the Samaritans or other supportive groups.

And I kind of suspect that the dodgy posters (of which I don’t think are many) may not even work in schools.

14. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

Just about every honest media outlet calls Trump a liar, and records of what he has said and written that are lies are being kept. It went over 20,000 earlier this year. If something is an obvious lie it should be called out. As to "ignoring" posters, I have had no problem with losing the plot by ignoring them, because I do not wish to see what load of old cobblers (and lies) they post. (Thats why I ignore them!)

Last edited: Aug 31, 2020
  15. install

install Star commenter

Agree. Fair point.

16. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

Yes. I've only ever had three deletions and one was for that and another for implying it, which was deemed threatening behaviour.

nomad and install like this.
  17. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

18. frodo_magic

frodo_magic Occasional commenter

"I have also been told off for outing a troll by saying they are a troll."

Can you hear yourself?

19. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Is this a coded call for help?

Can you see the light Rac?

20. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

Agree, safety online and protection from hurtful ideas, is very important.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.