1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What is allowed & not allowed?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by install, Aug 31, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. install

install Star commenter

Agree in part. I have an issue with posters saying ‘You are a troll’ on public forums unless it is blatantly true. And maybe that is where the ‘grey area’ is.

But I wouldn’t have a problem with someone asking politely ‘Are you a troll because it seems ....’. Then again I can see how a troll might even then play games with that approach.

I do think posters should ‘ignore’ trolls if they find them offensive, suspect they have several user names, are rude and/or are out to wind other posters up. They do seem to present in many public forums other than these too. My understanding is that they crave attention because they have none in their own lives.

Oscillatingass likes this.
  2. install

install Star commenter

I’m the same. I need full stops and hate predictive text.

Ellakits likes this.
  3. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

I presume frodo's post was an exercise in irony.
    Red_observer, some might have found your thread title "For a teachers forum the amount of people with no knowledge is worrying" pretty offensive.

4. install

install Star commenter

I presumed the same but thought it wise to take it at face value. And that’s the ‘grey area’ again creeping in.

I didn’t mind red’s thread.

red_observer likes this.
  5. stopwatch

stopwatch Lead commenter

For me, it is often not what is being said, but how it is being said/the words used. Without wanting to sound like a snowflake, I would find 1, 3, 4 and 5 impolite and unnecessary, no matter how irritated you are by somebody.
    I don't have any problem with 2. Respond with 'No I don't' or (if it is true) fess up or ignore (which says it all really).
    I don't like 6 as, if allowed, gives the green light to all and sundry and the possibility of scamming.
    I think (hope!) that most of the time, I can express things politely, even if challenging somebody else's comments or behaviours.

Oscillatingass and install like this.
  6. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Occassionally I've had posters respond rudely and it's not pleasant but I just drop out of the conversation, sometimes ignore too. I have a sharp pointy digit sometimes too and reserve the right to use it.

7. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

And once again, as with all threads that discuss them, there are 6 ignored posts. meaning contribution from the very ones I have identified and ignore!

install likes this.
  8. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

When I think back to the days of 'opinion', then I think about 'personal', snowflakes come to mind. Anyway as I am on pre-mod., my guilt is obvious:p

9. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

To call something a lie needs to be proved.YOu cannot accuse and then not say why. Problem is each person makes their accusation based upon the material they read or upon their source of information.
    As an example, on this forum, a quote from one newspaper is automatically assumed to be wrong or unreliable, yet another, because it follows a different political ideology, is found acceptable.
    Plus folk push their own beliefs and find others peoples views unacceptable in their mind and so they are 'cut off' from being an alternative view.

Doitforfree and install like this.
  10. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

You are within my time-like volume.

upload_2020-8-31_11-40-47.jpeg

install likes this.
  11. red_observer

red_observer Star commenter

But it’s true

install likes this.
  12. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

:D

install likes this.
  13. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

I am unfailingly polite, unfailingly modest, unfailingly helpful and unfailingly sympathetic. I utter no maledictions, expletives, execrations, profanities or blasphemies. I indulge in no salacious discussions. I may be dead.

14. colacao17

colacao17 Lead commenter

Personally I'd just ignore certain posters in all their incarnations. Let others engage if they wish.

install likes this.
  15. install

install Star commenter

Yes I agree. On other public forums it causes problems too. For me as long as it doesn’t get personal or attacking another poster I am fine.

16. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

Indeed.:eek:

17. install

install Star commenter

Again I agree and find this on lots of public forums. The ‘incarnations’ if they continue to show the same disturbing traits are a problem. I understand why posters may need to change their name but I am not sure I get having several user names on the same platform.

18. install

install Star commenter

You are alive . I guess there is fun and entertainment to be had with expletives etc but isn’t that as long as it’s not aimed at a poster on any social media?

19. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Saying a third party source is a lie is not the problem, it is either verified or not. I tend to abide by the various adages that say that "Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof". If a position is taken, especially an extreme or a generally not supported one, then the claimant needs to provide the proof rather than expect others to prove why it is not so. "The fairies at the bottom of my garden control the weather" for instance, should you be required to disprove that, or should I provide evidence for my somewhat surprising claim?

It is when the lies are personal with posters changing their viewpoint according to their preferred truth at the time and when they refer to things they have said or positions taken in the past to verify what they are saying now which are not true that it all becomes a bit invidious. I'm not going to trawl through hundreds of posts to look for something I remember clearly as proof, but it doesn't mean that I am not 100% sure the poster is lying, nor that they don't know that they are lying either.

ajrowing and install like this.
  20. install

install Star commenter

Isn’t the ‘ignore’ function cutting out possibly important parts of the thread though? The ignored parts may be replied to by others.

And how long should one ignore another poster for ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.