1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What is allowed & not allowed?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by install, Aug 31, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. install

install Star commenter

In these confusing times it seems what is and isn’t allowed on any public forums is getting terribly confusing especially with words and phrases.

So if one were to say any of these on any public forum do you think it should / shouldn’t be allowed and why? I have seen these types of phrases cause problems in several platforms now and wonder how others view their use

1 Grow up! Get a life

2 You seem to have many user names. Is this fair if true?

3 You are a troll

4 You are pathetic

5 That is nonsense

6 This is my ‘Fund me’ page - do see it and check it out

Mangleworzle likes this.
  2. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

It depends whether the "offended" reports it or not. Any of the above could get the post deleted, or worse (on here, all of these have been done.) I had a post removed and a telling off from the thought police for calling a troll a troll, and guess what, he is now gone, again! What is wrong with a bit of name calling some people just are!

3. install

install Star commenter

I agree. There is a ‘grey area’. I would have thought saying ‘That is nonsense’ would be permitted but again I have seen that taken on various public platforms.

4. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

Endorsing J K Rowling's opinion is not allowed.

5. Kandahar

Kandahar Star commenter

Meow!

install likes this.
  6. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

It seems to be a particular irony that "Liar" is the most incendiary thing you can say to a liar, in real life or online. Of course on here the liar in question immediately goes running off to matron to complain about being accurately described and get the description removed while the insulting poster faces some sanction or other and the liar continues with impunity.

7. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

I have also been told off for outing a troll by saying they are a troll. Definitely can’t do that. Yet I continue to see trolls trolling threads and people.

Jamvic, ilovesooty, lunarita and 3 others like this.
  8. install

install Star commenter

Yep. I’ve tried to encourage forums as being debate-like if arguments ensue. But even then in many public social forums it starts to get personal and goes away and off the initial point.

I would interpret the word ‘Liar’ as decisive, even if genuinely meant and accurate.

9. red_observer

red_observer Star commenter

I’m never rude!

ilovesooty and install like this.
  10. install

install Star commenter

Yeah - seen that too on several public forums. What I find odd is the lack of consistency across the forums.

11. install

install Star commenter

I agree! But even by using the ‘!’ are we somehow demanding others to not dare challenge our opinions ? Or is that how one simple phrase innocently meant can be wrongly interpreted ?

ilovesooty and red_observer like this.
  12. red_observer

red_observer Star commenter

I suppose I shouldn’t have used that then... sorry!

since I’ve got 4 really unpleasant posters on ignore I have robust but pleasant debates with a few but the rest of the Tessers seem to be nice people to me!

13. LondonCanary

And the full stop is offensive to Generation Z.

14. LondonCanary

Stay safe.

15. install

install Star commenter

Good point.

Ellakits likes this.
  16. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

Install, I rhink we disagree about quite a few things bur you're one of my favourite posters because (unlike me) you're never rude.

(ducks and waits for rac to cone along)

17. install

install Star commenter

I have tried the ‘ignore’ function but the problem is that I can’t help
    taking a peak in case I have missed something in the flow of the thread.

I agree the majority of Tessers are all very well meaning.

18. frodo_magic

frodo_magic Occasional commenter

As someone who is regularly followed around from thread to thread in different forums by various people, it's a rather sad state of affairs for the person doing it, but certainly disturbing for those on the receiving end. I like posting on TES, and am very pleased that many of my threads run for weeks and sometimes months as many posters debate the issue raised.

A few posters simply cannot debate anything, however, or cope with views that differ to their own, but take a 5 year-old's delight in attacking the person with silly statements, in what seems like a desperate bid to be noticed, to feel that someone is listening to them. They usually throw endless insults, 'you're a troll', 'you post using XXX as well', 'I have proof of ....', and rarely if ever post anything that starts off a genuine debate, they can just react. It's as if their internals can't cope with anything that is different to the views they hold, or they are super jealous of anyone who can get people discussing something topical in a polite way, and their reaction is a rush of blood that stays with them for months and months. It is genuinely scary, but then I guess that's why stalking is against the law now, something that the TES moderators seem to have forgotten.

Whilst I have a long 'People to ignore' list now, and I really do feel very sorry for people who stalk others or get personal, I'd really like to see the TES moderators take a far tougher line on this. Posters who focus on the poster rather than the debate need to be banned. Posters who cannot debate politely or repeatedly try to knock the debate sideways need to be banned.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2020
    lexus300 likes this.
  19. install

install Star commenter

That is very kind of you to say so @nizebaby. I don’t find you rude at all.

nizebaby likes this.
  20. Ellakits

Ellakits Lead commenter

I have an agreement with some friends that if they ever receive an unpunctuated text message claiming to be from me, they must call for help immediately as it would be a coded SOS!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.